Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
EOC restarting tip

I'm not sure whether anyone else has this issue, but I thought I'd pass it along.

I installed my kill switch about 3 months ago, and I recently discovered that I was turning it back on (the keyswitch) a little too early. When I kill the engine I was used to waiting 2-3 seconds for the engine to come to a stop. With my big diesel, it's pretty obvious when that happens (one can feel the shake). I had already know that if I turned the keyswitch back on prior to the shake, the engine would restart. What I only recently discovered, by using my loging software, is that even after the shake, the engine was still turning slowly for another few seconds (~5 sec). If I return the keyswitch to the on position during this time, the engine doesn't restart, however, it attempts to--in my log (as well as the tachomter), I could see a blip in the rpm where it fueled for a brief period of time attempting to restart.

So the solution is just to wait a little longer before returning the keyswitch to the on position (at least 8 seconds from the time I killed it). I'm not sure if it cost me that much fuel, but I'm sure it was a little.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (05-23-2013), UltArc (05-10-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eco Sol

I have recently had an issue with mine, maybe it is something similar with the engine still turning slowly. When I kill my injectors, if I try to bump start my engine while going less than around 15mph, my engine attempts to start then it just lugs and will not restart for a few attempts (even attempting with the key). Idk what the deal is, maybe by trying to bump start it I used the left over fuel that was in the lines andit had to be started a few times to get more fuel pressure?

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Dave I assume that your engine does not have a Anti-Shudder Valve like the VW TDI's do. For those that do not know what the ASV is or does it is an normally open throttle body for Diesels that closes only when the engine is being shut off (key off). The closing starves it for air and forces the shutdown after fuel is shut off, this makes for a smoother shut down.

What I need to look into is activating the ASV manually so I can kill the engine without using the key or cutting the power to the cam driven fuel pump.

Dave you could create your own mechanical ASV by modifying a junk yard Throttle Body. Make the TB open at all times unless you manually close it by pulling a knob. A different option would be to control a Drive By Wire TB and close it electronically.

If you want to try a DBW solution I have a (actually 2) DBW TB from a Series III GM3800 L26 the Inside Diameter is 2.5" I believe I can check if you want. You can have it for shipping only or if you are close the Northern Kentucky or Louisville we could meet up.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG

Last edited by Phantom; 05-09-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Actually, my engine already has an intake throttle, but I've disabled it. Originally the engine used the intake throttle to pull more EGR (by increasing pumpling loses) and also to briefly make the engine run rich to regenerate the NOx adsorber. I got rid of both the EGR and the NOx adsorber a long time ago, so I don't need the intake throttle adding intake restriction. Also, the software I used to disable the EGR did not disable the intake throttle, so it needed to be mechanically disabled, otherwise I'd let out puffs of smoke when it would go into it's rich modes. The intake throttle was orignially used to lessen the shutdown shake, however, the shake doesn't hurt anything--the 5.9L Cummins engines never had one and shutdown the same way.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using an intake throttle to kill a diesel by itself. Sure, it may kill the engine, but the engine may still add fuel--it just may not have much air to burn with.

And just to be clear, I'm perfectly fine with the way I'm running now--I just wanted to warn other that there may be some benefit to not turning the kill switch back on right away.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
VW add the valve just for smoother shutdowns so the gas engine people will not complain about the shake at shutdown.

I will need to check and see if I can cut the power to the injection pump using a relay for shutdown.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Reply  Post New Thread