Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Facebook MPG tracker application

Ok, so I had this idea right. I want to make a facebook application that will do basically what our fuel log application here on ecomodder does, but make it so that it will display a sticker, like we have on our signatures here, on a persons facebook profile page. I'm thinking of starting off simple, just allowing them to enter in the date that they filled up, the millage they went, how much gas they used to do it and a brief comment about the tank. Then on the page, there will be an image that will show up and let them see what their average fuel millage has been.

Then, once I get that figure out, I'm going to make it so that they can click on the image and see a graph of each tank, just like we have here. But, the coolest thing I'm going to make it do, is each instance of my application on someone's profile, will be able to talk to each other and compare with other people's FE scores and in that way, almost turn FE into a fun game people can play against their friends to see who gets the best MPG. This will, hopefully, become one of those trendy facebook app things and in that way get lots of young people started on the route to driving more fuel consciously.

Here is the only kicker. It appears that the facebook applications are created using PHP5...which, I don't know how to do. I'm willing to learn, but I thought that there might be a person or two on this site who have experience with PHP or who have made facebook apps before and who would like to assist me in this project. I will add them to the program as one of the developers and they will get full credit for the work that they did on the project, I'm not looking to take credit for this necessarily, I just had the idea and want to act on it quickly to get it working ASAP.

So, please, if you have any interest in this project at all, let me know and I will PM you and get the ball rolling to getting this thing functional!

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Hmm...it appears there may already be an application of this sort on facebook...I'm going to explore this a little bit and see how their app works because their description sounds very similar to what I was thinking of doing, and I might just help their development team.

Still, let me know if you guys are interested in working on another one anyway...

Here is the link to "gasbook" for facebook
http://www.facebook.com/apps/applica...34645610&ref=s
Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

I'd be down to give you a hand
Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Sweet, thanks for the offer, I'll message you in a bit.

Ok, well just gave gasbook a spin on my profile...yea, it's definitely not ready for use yet. Basically, they require WAY more information then should be reasonable. You have to enter in where you filled up, the beginning millage of your car, the millage on the car after you filled and the incremental of just that tank...making it WAY over complicated to A: figure out and B: put in data, especially for someone like myself who started in the middle of a tank or something.

SO, long story short, time to start work on an "ecomodder app" not calling it that, but I liked the catch phrase for use here on the site.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
Sweet, thanks for the offer, I'll message you in a bit.

Ok, well just gave gasbook a spin on my profile...yea, it's definitely not ready for use yet. Basically, they require WAY more information then should be reasonable. You have to enter in where you filled up, the beginning millage of your car, the millage on the car after you filled and the incremental of just that tank...making it WAY over complicated to A: figure out and B: put in data, especially for someone like myself who started in the middle of a tank or something.

SO, long story short, time to start work on an "ecomodder app" not calling it that, but I liked the catch phrase for use here on the site.
Sounds like they are trying to collect information on people to sell. They could target advertising at all the people in Toronto who get terrible mileage with their old worn out cars...

Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I thought of this a few months ago, actually...

Wouldn't it be neat to have an app that ran with the ecomodder garage/fuel log? If anyway is interested, get in touch we me and we'll see if we can make it happen.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad
Good idea.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

So how do we want to coordinate this project and set some specs?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

I'm not really sure how we will work the communication thing. I'm thinking maybe we can just coordinate through the forums or something or if there is a chat thing we can do live meetups at decided times or something, not really sure.

As far as specs go. Here is sort of a general idea of what I was thinking it would be able to do. If you have any other ideas, just quote my bullets and add your own to your post, we'll sort of make it a running list that way.
  • Tracks MPG using miles traveled and gallons used per fill
  • create a graph using all entrees
  • give you a lifetime and 90 day average
  • compare create an image, similar to the forum sig badges we have that displays last 90 days average
  • Compare your gas millage to other users of the application
  • create a top 10 database for the best fuel efficient drivers
  • Ability to track FE on more then one car
  • Possibly a way to also enter in how much you paid to fill up for that tank?

I'll add more as I think of them, until then, feel free to put your ideas on the list and then we can get to sorting out which ones we want first and which ones are critical to have before we add others, etc.