Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Unicorn - '12 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatch
90 day: 31.9 mpg (US)
Remember its best to just hit the damn thangs IF you can't stop. Its not worth flipping your favorite car on the freeway ;-)

Quote:
Hehehe... If one of your facial lacerations leaves a small scar, you'll have a SCarlett.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You could, alternatively, move to GA.. The deer are about the size of large dogs, from what I can recall.

Ironically, the animal that I've most often heard of being hit is armadillos. The ironic part is that they're seldom hit on the road. People swerve off the road to hit them.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OCDobject - '74 buick Apollo
90 day: 12.18 mpg (US)

Black Tardis - '13 Kia Soul Base
90 day: 30.64 mpg (US)
An ultrasonic device works on wild animals much the same way that a dog whistle works on dogs. It produces a sound that hurts their ears, or just plain frightens them depending on the species, and thus they stay away from it. As for why they don't avoid the sound of the car engine, there are no natural predators that sound like cars, while there are natural phenomena, such as flowing water, do sound similar to cars, so animals have no instinctive fear for the sound of a car. Make your car sound like a roaring mountain lion and then they'll stay away from it.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OCDobject - '74 buick Apollo
90 day: 12.18 mpg (US)

Black Tardis - '13 Kia Soul Base
90 day: 30.64 mpg (US)
The whistles, don't work. Most of the time it's because of in correct mounting, but even mounted correctly they clog or break easily. An electronic ultrasonic device is much more effective. They make them to deter dogs from attacking, you should be able to find some that will work on other wildlife. But being aware of their presence and being able to stop is better. And since it actually fits in with the hypermiling driving tips you may want to look into the smith system of advanced defensive driving. In a previous job I was a bus driver and that was part of our safety program. Short story of it is: keep enough open space around you to be able to avoid problems by maneuvering gently, with a good 15 second lead time on your down range awareness.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
It will cut your Cd down just a little bit, but you could get those deer siren things, those really work. A friend of mine who live in VERY rural Alabama hasn't hit once since she got them. Before she got them she hit at least one a month.
Its a 5 year old post and i do not expect a reply from the poster but wow ! that is some crazy prolific deer area she drove in, i know i would of been eating more deer then a person can appreciate. Years ago i ate a bleeding fresh road kill deer. Some of the meat was spoiled from the hit some spoiled from us,inept butchers cutting our first deer. Funny thing is the guy who brought the deer back picked up some vegetarian hitch hikers who had the bleeding dead deer thrown in the short box with them. The look on their faces was reported to be priceless.
That was the first and last road kill i ate, what can i say i was way in the back woods..running low on food, haha.

Last edited by ecomodded; 08-25-2012 at 01:39 AM..
Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Those ultrasonic whistles are just plain dangerous....

The key here is they hurt the deers ear, and scare them... when I had some on my vehicle, I had daily near misses... 90% of the deer you usually just slowed and cruised by while they ignored you, now suddenly broke into a panicked run, usually onto the road...
Old 08-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
It could be, those are like driving around with dog whistles on your car

Reply  Post New Thread