Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

POS - '97 Ford Aspire
90 day: 47 mpg (US)
I didn't mean to sound like i was saying grill blocks don't work. I belive they can work for areo purposes. I'm actually planning on creating one, soon. though w/ the talk of a varible block, my planning just got more complicated

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

im not sure about this vehical in paticular but i know on some late model cars that a small wicker bill can provide enough of a low pressure area to allow the base of the windshield to be used to let out under hood air but if that isnst going to work id say let it out towards the middel of the hood or back half of the fender simple tuft tessting should tell you the best placment
Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
sorry if i did sound harch to you, i agree with wat you're saying.

i've used a grillblock on my previous car, i can't say i saw a huge improvement from it, but on the other hand i never had much problems with overheating even with about 90% of the grill blocked! only once on the highway i took it of as a precaution because tems where getting a bit close to the redline.

my curent car has half the top and bottom grill blocked from the factory, with a plastic slot! wich is means carmakers are really doing a good job sometimes, but it also means i'll have to be more cautious about blocking the rest.

what i'd like to build would be a full block for the top grill that pops open when the fan comes on... i think i could get away with the lower grill alone as that's the most effective one, but i'd have more piece of mind if i didn't have peer at the temp gauge all the time.

what i'd really need to get me started on the project is some sort of actuator... something that extends when you apply 12V to it and retracts when the voltage drops. i could wire that to the fan so it would open when the car thinks things are getting to hot.

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Reply  Post New Thread