Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just bought an 02 saturn SL1

Hi everyone thanks for reading me post. I am new to the forum and am looking forward to reading through more of the driving techniques in the forum!!

I do have one question that I have searched for but I haven't been able to find an answer to fully help in my situation. So I thought I'd post here first to see if I could get some opinions from some of the users here without gumming up the main threads with another already answered question .

So here's some background info.
I just bought a 02 Saturn Sl1, it has power windows locks, and from what I can tell pretty much every option for the car. High milage but runs very strong, suspension, clutch, engine, tranny all feel very tight and smooth still.
the tires are 185/65-14
2 are fairly new, the other 2 are will probably last through next summer.

I also own a 04 Saturn Ion that I put a very nice set of michelin defenders (I am new it won't let me post a link) that have less than 2000 miles on them now I am now going to sell the
Ion
tire size 195/60-15
and keep the
Sl1
tire size 185/65-14

My question is if a swap the michelins for the tires on my Sl1 before I sell the Ion what is it going to cost me in real world ramifications e.g. gas millage, speedo/mileage reading changes, handling, final gear ratios, etc.? Also what is your opinion on whether it is worth it to change tire and wheel sizes for the Sl1 but not have to worry about tires for a long time vs. biting the bullet and sticking to stock size and have to replace the tires next year?

If you can give me real world data on what the changes will be that would be great, otherwise what is your opinion what would you do if you were me?

thanks in advance guys I know it is a long first post but any impute would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The S - '99 Saturn SC2
Team Saturn
Can't help wit hthe tire question but....

I can't help you with the tire question but, having owned an S series for a few years now I can tell you to regularly check the oil, at least once a week until you get a feel for what it uses. Almost ALL S series Saturns use some amount of oil. And being you have the single overhead cam, don't let it overheat as the heads on the SOHCs are more prone to cracking from overheating.

Don't let that deter you from having the car though, keep an eye on the oil and they run quite literally forever.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yea I am familiar with the oil consumption problem the thing so far seams to be impeccably maintained and so far anyways doesn't really seem to burn much oil at all :-) thanks for the over heating tip though.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The S - '99 Saturn SC2
Team Saturn
Oh yeah almost forgot, if you haven't already, go join saturnfans.com. Lots of how-to repair guides and very helpful forum all around.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
mileage, saturn, sl1, tires, wheels