Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Thats pretty close to what I've seen with my Prius in summer. ~55mpg @ 60 mph.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzer View Post
Where did this graph come from ? We have a Prius 3 (2011 model) and at a sustained, er, 70+ it can drop to an average of 39 (imp) over 200 miles. Go 10 MPH less (still 70+) and it gets 49.

In urban driving I can push it to 80+ easily (all those techniques learned here ) but Mrs A only gets about 60-ish. On a motorway run it gets 55 usually.

Tank to tank Mrs A used to get about 45 from her Octavia 2.0 TDI, and now gets 55.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knut - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 50.9 mpg (US)

Santa - '00 Hyundai Santamo
90 day: 29.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Where did this graph come from?
this graph is an old find, at a dutch website. my dutch is even worse as my english, so i dont have any informations about it.
but at the german prius site it is often used, because of the truth in it. if someone aks witch fe he will get at witch speed, there it is.
the datas are for the 2004-2009 prius 2, and without any mods. many drivers claim these numbers are absolut true, my prius does the same, but maybe it is one of the best. if we drive neck and neck with an other prius 2, i usualy get some more mpg. and that´s before any eco mods done.

remember that dutch streets are almost flat. hilly terain or windy days are an other story.

u make 80+ mpg in urban driving? thats impressive! one day (berlin) city hopping without cold start, i came out nearly at 70mpg. and i can look forewards and these things. this was in the prius 1, i formerly owned. maybe the p2 does a little better.

our 50mpg overall is hard to top. the car is going only 15km one way and sometimes my wife has some aditional cold starts for ultra short trips. that kills fe...

Prius II
Hyundai Santamo
Old 01-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Prius 1,2,3 - I think the P1 was some kind of Mk1 Yaris (aka Echo) based thing sold for a while, the P2 is the one in your pic and the P3 is the 2010 one we have.

I have to state that our family Prius is actually Mrs A's so my trips driving it tend to be local - i.e. when I get a loan of it 80+ MPG is what I get taking it to the local movie place with A Junior and his friends (e.g. over the Christmas break) - this is mostly urban and suburban roads - max speed 40, more usually 30-35. My technique is to get the engine warm asap with harsh acceleration where possible, and to use the same strategy from then on so that the ICE comes on when I set off and then the car switches into EV mode once I reach the speed required. After that I moderate the pedal to try and prevent the ICE starting and to use battery.

Eventually the battery runs low and the ICE will start to keep it charged. For my local trips this works well, but for longer trips the ICE is required all the time so the CVT becomes the issue - see below.

I'm suspicious of the graph because the Prius is hard to work out in terms of speed vs MPG - the CVT transmission for example is very sensitive to load (acceleration, hills, headwinds) so it seems to change down far too often. I know some people believe it keeps the engine in the BSFC range but I doubt it, but as the Prius has no rev counter it is hard to say. Plus I think the assistance is varied by the battery charge. In power mode though it "goes"

The CVT is described in some places as the "engineer's solution to a non-problem" and I agee - I would prefer the Prius to have a 6sp, or at least to have a rev counter with some indication of change points. I'm sure we use the ICE harshly when we don't need to and sometimes the CVT seems to favour power over FE and we have no way of overriding it - if I lift off then acceleration or even maintaining speed stops and the MPG gauge hits 100, i try and maintain speed it and drops to 50. Either 50 or 100, nothing in between.

When I bought George (see left, below my avatar) I did consider a Prius 2 instead but what put me off is the way the car and it's systems take control - the more control the engineers who design the car have the less you have and they design for the 80 part of the 80:20 rule. George is basic - 1.0L, manual gearbox etc. - so I decide how it drives. On the same trips I can get 70-ish (65-75) depending on traffic so I can more or less match the Prius cleverness on my own

In defence of the Prius, Mrs A's Prius is also a company car so I can't plug in the SG and spend a few days with it as she does use it for work more or less all the time. Mrs A does not do hypermiling but compared to her previous car (Octavia 2.0 TDI) an average tank is 11 miles per litre vs 7-9 miles in that car. If I got to spend a couple of weeks with it I'm sure I could get it over 13-15 - maybe.

And if you can get past the "field of smugness" any Prius generates, it is actually a pretty nice car to drive. The handling (and no this is not Skidpan G...) is responsive, and in terms of "go" it can annoy tailgating drivers quite nicely when required. In terms of looks, the P3 with the 17-in alloys also looks pretty cool IMHO.

The downsides ? Well for such an advanced car it seems to have a load of build quality issues - rattles, cheap trim pieces and bits that just fall off. If Toyota could get Skoda* to build them they would have a winner.

(*Every Skoda we have had has been flawless. VWs, BMWs, Renaults, Peugeots and Toyotas have all have issues...)
Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sippin' gasoline

ecohok 2 - '94 Volkswagen Polo Steilheck/Breadvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzer View Post
how fast can u go at the highways? up to 90mph and more, my prius does verry well. 50mpg is not unrealistic. at full speed (105mph) the FE drops to 23,5mph, but every lift of the throttle raises it imidiadly.
this pic shoes speed vs. tempreratur vs. FE and these numbers are quite good matching the real world.

i don´t know the metro, but if you after FE, a hybrid ist a good choice. however, a new car never saves money.
Hey! Where did you get that graph from? I can read it, I'm Dutch hehe, and I'm curious how I can make such a graph myself!

/edit: sorry, did not see page #2
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knut - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 50.9 mpg (US)

Santa - '00 Hyundai Santamo
90 day: 29.07 mpg (US)
this is the orginal site:
http://www.john2211.nl/Spreadsheets/...Simulation.htm
check out the rest of the site, there is some more prius stuff.

Prius II
Hyundai Santamo
The Following User Says Thank You to kurzer For This Useful Post:
btracing (01-11-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread