Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCw View Post
if you want to ditch your daytime running lights, they should be on a separate fuse. just pull the fuse, and no more DTLs running off your alternator.
Unfortunately not all vehicles have a simple fuse to pull for DRLs. My Pontiac has "smart" logic that disables more than just the lights. And it beeps at you. Constantly. I'd disable it (as there has been found a workaround) but I enjoy not thinking about lighting when I get in it; the lights work. I replace a $5 bulb one a year or so from burning out, which is mostly because I have the lights relayed directly to the alternator, so the voltage drop is negligible-providing greater lighting at night (I work nights, so it's important to me). And my wife enjoys the extra visibility factor when we have ugly days. The car is silver/grey, it blends far to well with flat lighting.

But you're mostly right. DRL is a simple thing to disable, and even in my case, takes 15 minutes of reading a forum post while staring at the fuse box.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCw View Post
if you want to ditch your daytime running lights, they should be on a separate fuse. just pull the fuse, and no more DTLs running off your alternator.
But daytime running lights are required by law in some countries...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
slave to the grind

Sippy The Slow Sentra - '94 NISSAN SENTRA EX
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.73 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to TOOQIKK
HIDs use less power that would solve your headlight issue and provide a much brighter light!
LEDs are fairly cheap now( have my entire dash done in Blue LEDs(left the warning lights all stock so they really pop of they go off)...all the accessory lights are done in LEDs too
if nothing else they just look cooler and are customizable!
ebay you can find some killer deals on LEDs too!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meelis11 View Post
But daytime running lights are required by law in some countries...
"Where are DRLs required? Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. There are two types of laws. Canada's requires vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. The other type of law in effect in Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden requires motorists to turn on their headlights if their vehicles do not have automatic DRLs. This kind of law applies to drivers only, and vehicles do not have to be specially equipped. In 1972, Finland mandated daytime running lights in winter on rural roads and a decade later made DRLs mandatory year-round. Sweden's law took effect in 1977, Norway's in 1986, Iceland's in 1988, and Denmark's in 1990. Hungary has required drivers on rural roads to operate with vehicle lights on since 1993. Canada requires DRLs for vehicles made after December 1, 1989. No U.S. state mandates DRLs, although some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather." Questions & Answers: Daytime Running Lights

Almightybmw your Grand Prix is easy to disable the DRL its disconnect a the plug from a little heat sink that is in the panel you see when the drivers door is open. Check out Headlamp Control for more info on it and a pic of the part.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
what is the current draw of DRL, especially considering they are at a lower intensity? I somehow doubt it would make more than a 1% difference in fuel mileage, especially compared to using other ecomodder techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I think DRL's run at 90% of the power of the headlights, so ~45watts?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
"Where are DRLs required? Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. There are two types of laws. Canada's requires vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. The other type of law in effect in Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden requires motorists to turn on their headlights if their vehicles do not have automatic DRLs. This kind of law applies to drivers only, and vehicles do not have to be specially equipped. In 1972, Finland mandated daytime running lights in winter on rural roads and a decade later made DRLs mandatory year-round. Sweden's law took effect in 1977, Norway's in 1986, Iceland's in 1988, and Denmark's in 1990. Hungary has required drivers on rural roads to operate with vehicle lights on since 1993. Canada requires DRLs for vehicles made after December 1, 1989. No U.S. state mandates DRLs, although some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather." Questions & Answers: Daytime Running Lights
Found this from that link that Phantom posted:
Quote:
NHTSA estimates that only a fraction of a mile per gallon will be lost, depending on the type of system used. General Motors estimates the cost to be about $3 per year for the average driver.
I have popup lights so it is not just about alternator load, but Cd increases when lights are open.

In Estonia we also must use headlights all time. Is the DRL same thing as low beam?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Simba - '05 Seat Leon FR
I have replaced all interior and exterior lighting with LEDs, except turn signals (relay needs a specific bulb resistance to run) and headlights proper.

If all these bulbs were to run simultaneously, with no headlamp bulbs on, this would draw 330 watts. LEDs can do with 1:10 of this.

Also replaced 55 watt H3 foglight bulbs with motorcycle type 35 watt H3 bulbs. Since the fog lamps have dual lens, difference in light spread and reach is rather small.

The fuel savings are too small to count on an open road. But this is not the point. The gain is the decrease of the amp load on wires and relays. The electric system of modern VWs / Audis / Seats / Skodas is very tightly fit together, and, after some years in harsh temp differences from season to season, the wires cook and harden themselves.

If and only if the H7 / H1 headlamp bulbs could also be replaced with LEDs, the fuel saving becomes big enough to count.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
in my country lights are required to be on unless you have DRL, so i've been interested about leds

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
They sell aftermarket halo lights. You could stick some inside you headlight lenses.

Or they have some strips you could mount anywhere.

In rural Finland, being noticed is important in my opinion.

Tykkimies Naskali.

Reply  Post New Thread