Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Compact or Crossover for Saftey?
Would stick to compact and drive safe 40 78.43%
Crossover for Saftey 0 0%
Would get a crossover if it had the same mpg 7 13.73%
Would pay up for saftey and get a larger car 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Small car=Deathtrap? Your opinion?

What are your guys thought on driving small compacts vs small crossover/suv? Is it worth the extra saving in your wallet but to risk safety?
Obviously larger cars will fair better in a crash vs a small car but are they worth the extra $$$+Gas, Opinions?

Last edited by 5.4; 02-12-2012 at 01:14 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
There is always someone bigger than you, even though I drive a big vehicle, safety is not the reason for me, in the past I have generally driven smaller vehicles.
But if I was buying a vehicle for my partner and child, then safety would be the first consideration.
So not always easy to answer a simple question.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
There is always someone bigger than you
This is true for sure.

Personally, I'd hate to make any decision purely based on fear. Drive any car that you feel is basically safe (i.e., fully functional and not falling apart) and let your driving skill and awareness keep you safe.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
If a compact would suit your needs feature wise and you wanted more safety, then a large sedan would be a better choice than a crossover/suv. You'd have better safety in a crash, and you'd also retain maneuverability and resistance to rollover.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 View Post
Is it worth the extra saving in your wallet but to risk safety?
Safety vs $ is one thing ... but that is not the same as safety vs size ... or safety vs weight.

This is a common but I find at best misleading , and generally speaking incorrect initial assumption... even if it is shared by many people.

There are four other sides of this size/weight vs safety issue , most large vehicle advocates skip... and when looking over the whole issue ... I think in general small and light is safer than large and heavy.

#1> Someone is always bigger/heavier than you.
As others have said car vs car ... me buying bigger does not = me being safer. Unless you are going to avoid the roads that allow any bigger vehicle, the car vs car safety idea is faulty ... limited to roads that don't allow RVs and U-Hauls makes ones driving options extremely limited.

#2> The bigger / heavier vehicle is more dangerous to everyone else around it.
It posses a larger risk to pedestrians, to pets, to property, and in car vs car head on collisions those smaller cars ... or said another way ... choosing to buy bigger/heavier = choosing to put everyone and everything around you in greater risk.

#3> There are other types of accidents than head on car vs car.
Any accident involving hitting a stationary object the heavier car is less safe than the lighter car. It brings more energy into the collision. The human body has the same injury from force tolerances no matter the vehicle. This forces the heavier vehicle to be less safe than the light vehicle. Assuming otherwise equal technology F=ma. If A have superior technology to B that is about the technology not the size or weight.

#4> The heavier vehicle is more likely to get in an accident in the first place.
It's inertia ... the heavier vehicle's greater inertia reducing it's ability to brake to a stop or turn a tight corner to get out of the way... or course there are some technologies that can directly target braking and cornering ... and it is possible specific vehicle A might have some of those while specific vehicle B does not ... but that is about those technologies , and does not change the fundamental issues of greater mass and inertia ... the smaller lighter vehicle with those same level of technologies will always out-corner and brake shorter than the heavier vehicle.

- - - - - -
So as I see it the less $ aspect is a bonus on top of being more safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamIan For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (02-15-2012), NeilBlanchard (02-12-2012), Ryland (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I remember going to a salvage auction where they sell totalled vehicles. The were 3 of the Toyota Land Cruisers there, or 1% of the total number of vehicles sold. All 3 were rollovers.
Not sure what the percentage of Land Cruisers is of the vehicle population but I am sure it's a heck of a lot lower than 3 of 300 or 1%.
Of course this does not even consider motorcycles.
The key to survival in any vehicle is knowing your limitations and situational awareness.
Take a 1 mile square slab of concrete. You have a Greyhound bus and I have a Turbo Carrera Porsche.
Do you think you would have any chance of hitting me intentionally in a bus versus Porsche contest?
Not a prayer.

regards
Mech
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The wife drives a SUV (if you want to call it that). She is willing to sacrifice some mileage for better visibility and greater mass. To mitigate the cost of fuel we got the best mileage vehicle we could buy.

3800 pounds 32 MPG highway.

regards
Mech
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diabla - '09 Renault Laguna Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 View Post
What are your guys thought on driving small compacts vs small crossover/suv? Is it worth the extra saving in your wallet but to risk safety?
Obviously larger cars will fair better in a crash vs a small car but are they worth the extra $$$+Gas, Opinions?
If you drive a lot of highway, why not buy a used large car with good fuel economy?

Larger cars, at least here in Europe, depreciate faster, and get similar if not better mpg on the highway, so the cost of ownership is comparable to a smaller car and you get the space, comfort and safety along with it. They are also much more stable at speed because of better aerodynamics and longer wheelbase, so the active safety component is also better.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Let's not forget the importance of speed. KE = 1/2 M x V x V "KE" = kinetic energy "M" = mass and "V" = velocity.
So would you slow down to be safer?

Last edited by nemo; 02-12-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
if safety is your primary concern then search "traffic safety facts" and be done with it...

Last edited by redyaris; 02-12-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread