EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   increase f350 mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/increase-f350-mpg-23297.html)

monster76 09-13-2012 12:03 AM

increase f350 mpg

hello every one currently i have a 99 f350 4x4 with a 7.3, it has 4.10 gears open dif front rear automatic built with a 1200 rpm stall, 4" turbo back and a ts performance chip and i run amsoil in everything diff trans and engine. i understand this is a heavy truck currently i drive it real easy try not to go over 65 especially if i am pulling. i own a small company in Miami where i mainly do weld repairs and hydraulic work on industrial equipment. my truck has my compressor welder and alot of tools . when i first got the truck with all my tools i was only getting about 10 mpg, then i put exhaust and chip and still only averaged about 11 mixed driving. Then my trans went out and i built with a very low stall 1200 rpm and upgraded the valve body with a nice shift kit and bam i started avg about 14 which led me to believe it was just efficient before at putting the power to the wheels. now my question is what can i do to get about 16 mpg. currently i am getting about 430 miles to a tank where i would like to be around 480, 500, i drive about 600 miles a week some times more and every little bit counts especially with the rising cost of everything now a days. btw i purchase the bio already made from a company locally here who gets it from a refinery since i dont have time to make it. sorry for the long post every body

ron 09-13-2012 12:50 AM

build an aero bed cover ,it should provide some mpg improvement and keep your tools covered/safe when your away from the truck. a win win and low cost.

oil pan 4 09-13-2012 04:48 AM

Sounds like water injection might be able to help you there.
But you really need to lose the 4.10 rear gears they are killing you.

Gealii 09-13-2012 06:05 AM

don't forget about an air dam they seem to have better affects on trucks

redpoint5 09-13-2012 07:00 AM

Wow, 14 is bad for a diesel. Must be a lot of stop and go? If so, loose as much weight as possible. Oil Pan had the best advise, which is loosing the 4.10 gears.

Oh, and stop using the brakes!

monster76 09-13-2012 10:23 AM

I think the problem is the 7.3l, big and inefficient. i cant lose wieght i have to carry my tools and equipment im going to see if i swap over to 3.73, i also want to try a different tuner to see if i get any results, and yes i do alot of stop and go, unfortunately i dont have a choice has any one messed with lpg injection on diesels here?

oil pan 4 09-13-2012 12:32 PM

I tried propane injection back in 2006.
It was ok.
But wish I had started experementing with water and water alcohol injection instead.

Disable your EGR if you still have it, or better yet disable it on demand, it may aid in winter warm up, other than that they are no good.
Take a sawsall your soot trap if you have it. Make sure you have at least a 3 inch free flowing exhaust. I recomend a straight pipe for turbo diesels that side exits forward of the rear wheel if its legal or if you know you can get away with it in FL.

Diesel_Dave 09-13-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 327691)
I tried propane injection back in 2006.
It was ok.
But wish I had started experementing with water and water alcohol injection instead.

Disable your EGR if you still have it, or better yet disable it on demand, it may aid in winter warm up, other than that they are no good.
Take a sawsall your soot trap if you have it. Make sure you have at least a 3 inch free flowing exhaust. I recomend a straight pipe for turbo diesels that side exits forward of the rear wheel if its legal or if you know you can get away with it in FL.

A '99 shouldn't have EGR or a DPF.

Hey, monster, can you create a vehicle profile for your truck? That was we can see more details of what you're drivng.

monster76 09-13-2012 06:17 PM

i updated my sig with my truck info

Gealii 09-13-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster76 (Post 327736)
i updated my sig with my truck info

I'd recommend going into our garage and adding your truck to it. This way you can track your fuel log, and then every1 can see your truck, the mods to the truck and your fuel economy