EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   inline driveshaft motor? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/inline-driveshaft-motor-9890.html)

droptail 08-29-2009 01:47 PM

inline driveshaft motor?

I am interested in adding an electric motor to my (4x4) truck.

Can electric motors (such as the typical Advanced 9") be mounted cut inline to the existing OE driveshaft that is in use by a ICE, and power as needed?
Would need to have a double shaft. Its CE shaft strength might be the limiter?

I believe the rpm isn't a problem as these motors can spin up to 6k rpm?

(or redirect to existing thread)

Thanks

roflwaffle 08-29-2009 02:39 PM

An ADC 9" should be fine as long as the driveshaft angles and mounting are solid. Here's an example of a similar setup. I hesitate to recommend it from the POV of cost in terms of engine assist for automatics because it's only reducing engine operating efficiency in that context. The only payback is if the vehicle's owner has a manual transmission and can operate on battery power alone instead of using their engine at low load AFAIK.

MadisonMPG 08-29-2009 04:41 PM

EDIT to keep OP's panties out of a wad.

SVOboy 08-29-2009 04:53 PM

I believe this is what Coyote X is doing with his metro hybrid

vtec-e 08-29-2009 04:59 PM

I'm no mechanic but I do work with machines etc. My guess is that it would not be easy in a fwd car. The easiest place (and not necessarily the right place) would be where the starter is. But the motor speed, due to the gearing, would end up phenomenal to say the least. Another option is to fit it between the gearbox and the engine. Space limitations apply big time here but it would be direct to the gearbox and the speed of the motor and gearbox could match reasonably easily.
All i can think of after that is to fit motors to the back wheels. The weight of the wheels then goes up of course, not to mention the problems with sticking two motors in the mud and water every day......
I briefly thought about having a drive motor connected through the alternator belt. Power would be limited by the strength of the belt and there would be losses. As Roflwaffle said, it would only serve to offset engine losses. But thats no small thing either is it? The only advantage of this is that it would be relatively easy to install and the real work would be in managing the whole package electrically. Beyond me but doable i'm sure.

ollie

MadisonMPG 08-29-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 124618)
I believe this is what Coyote X is doing with his metro hybrid

I am going to read the whole thread now.

elhigh 08-29-2009 09:31 PM

I've thought of this from time to time, cutting a hole through the bed of my truck and mounting an assist motor back there. It'd be huge fun, but it'd be huge fun to have a few thousand bucks in the bank, too. And since I don't have that, I can't have the motor either.

Dangit.

MadisonMPG 08-30-2009 12:50 AM

EDIT to keep OP's panties out of a wad.

droptail 08-30-2009 03:09 PM

roflwaffle, thanks for the link and input. I will read it and check back.

Guys, the thread is about installing an electric motor inline to a (truck) driveshaft.
Geo comments don't belong here.

Thanks

MadisonMPG 08-30-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droptail (Post 124748)
roflwaffle, thanks for the link and input. I will read it and check back.

Guys, the thread is about installing an electric motor inline to a (truck) driveshaft.
Geo comments don't belong here.

Thanks

Pretty snappy for someone with seven posts.