Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
A major point of disagreement is often a difference in philosophy, which is why politics and philosophy are a natural topic of discussion here. For example, the answer to the question of who owns the fruits of ones labor will shape the answer to the question of what ought to be subsidized and how much.
The name of the philosophy where the fruit of the labor is owned solely by who gets paid for it is Plutocracy.
Its advocates feel that democracy yields too much power to the poor.

I don't mind that a substantial part of the tax I pay goes to the jobless and disabled. I was not too proud to take it when I needed it. Paying tax now feels like helping others overcome hardship, and I like that.
The same goes for environmental friendly technology. My house (and climate) is not well suited for solar panels or such. I'm glad that by paying tax I can do at least something for the environment.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-19-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #42 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm trying to ignore you but this one pushes a button.
Glad to see I could not be ignored, and that I'm pushing a button.

Quote:
Everybody that pays tax wants to be empowered to say exactly where every penny goes.
True statement; therefore every penny that does not go to taxes empowers the individual to spend where they see the need.

Individuals are very good at analyzing the "micro needs" such as what vehicle to purchase, or what neighbors are in need of assistance, but very poor at analyzing "macro needs" such as supporting a national military. The government naturally should collect tax and administer the macro needs, and leave the micro needs to the individual.

Quote:
The simple fact that there is a thing called duh intuhnet, with a thing on it called duh intuhweb, the first created with $US and the second with $Swiss, puts the lie to your statement.
The internet, as well as GPS, was developed for national defense purposes, and not funded by a subsidy with the intent to fund a specific area of industry. Consumers eventually benefited from massive military spending, but these technologies would have been developed privately at some point even if the military did not develop them.

Quote:
Wrong question.
I was hoping to push buttons to spur a conversation, not illicit statements that cannot be argued.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread