EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Interior Side Veiw Mirrors?? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/interior-side-veiw-mirrors-22439.html)

ryan5895 07-01-2012 09:14 PM

Interior Side Veiw Mirrors??

I have a 99 honda civic LX. Great car, only problem: THE SIDE VIEW MIRRORS ARE HUGE! I'm wondering if anyone has tried to put their side view mirrors on the inside?? I must say, I got the idea from looking at aerocivic..its not original:/
But forreal, if anyone has a link to premade ones that I wouldnt have to spend days fabricating that would be great! Otherwise, if you have one, direct me to a link for smallish mirrors I could use for such a purpose:)

3n3rgystar 07-01-2012 09:49 PM

I tried putting mine on the inside which did not work well I could never get the correct angle in my car, yours maybe different though. But what did work is I got a blind spot mirror and mounted it on my rear-view mirror and then I was able to see around the entire back of the car with just one glance at that mirror, again my car had lots of side windows which helped also. They are cheap so worth a try in your situation and I suggest carefully testing parked with some bikes or helpers to see that you can see correctly.

ryan5895 07-01-2012 11:05 PM

The blind spot mirror is an interesting idea! I'll have to try that one!
My car has pretty good visibility and I ALWAYS look behind the car when I backup, the only time I really use the mirrors is to avoid running over peoples grass..

What did you use to cover the exposed area on the outside? I was thinking of just cutting a peice of wood to the shape and sealing it well. Possibly covering it with some 3M carbon fiber wrap so it would have a decent look to it..

NeilBlanchard 07-01-2012 11:19 PM

Yes, this has been done by several folks here on EM, and they often end up with a convex mirror which gives a better angle, but has the disadvantage of distorting the view, making objects look farther away than they actually are.

ryan5895 07-01-2012 11:24 PM

How much of a reduction in drag might I be looking at here? Basically, would it be worth it to do it?

Flakbadger 07-01-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan5895 (Post 314783)
How much of a reduction in drag might I be looking at here? Basically, would it be worth it to do it?

If you search, you can see the percentages people have found. I believe MetroMPG has some really good numbers on there.
I personally refuse to delete my mirrors. I use them all the time, and while it's possible to get by without them, every moment your head is turned completely around is another moment your peripheral vision can't see what's in front of your car. Who knows what split-second change might happen ahead of you when you're not looking.
That being said, I would appreciate it if my car's mirrors were quite a bit smaller. I feel like many cars have unnecessarily large ones.. so smaller external mirrors might be a possibility too.

JackMcCornack 07-02-2012 12:37 AM

I'm going to try making my cabin with a clear shot (clear as in, not opaque and not getting my shoulder in the way) from the inside side mirror to straight back. Since we have to look through a sheet of something anyway (light path from behind the car, bounced off the mirror, through the side window, to the eye) I'm hoping I won't lose clarity by changing the order some (from behind the car, through the side window, bounced off the mirror, to the eye).

SentraSE-R 07-02-2012 04:00 AM

OP, see this thread.

3n3rgystar 07-02-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan5895 (Post 314780)
The blind spot mirror is an interesting idea! I'll have to try that one!
My car has pretty good visibility and I ALWAYS look behind the car when I backup, the only time I really use the mirrors is to avoid running over peoples grass..

What did you use to cover the exposed area on the outside? I was thinking of just cutting a peice of wood to the shape and sealing it well. Possibly covering it with some 3M carbon fiber wrap so it would have a decent look to it..

I used bondo sanded it and painted over it with a can of black to match the rest of the trim. But the carbon fiber would look cool I think.

vrmilionzx 07-02-2012 12:47 PM

They're overpriced, but i've considered something like this (ST Machine Pig Spotters), mounted to the existing mirror spots. I'm currently considering a project using some spare side mirror as "organ donors" to make smaller profile mirrors...that still work.