EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   "JUMPR" Compact Jump Start Battery (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/jumpr-compact-jump-start-battery-28823.html)

digital rules 04-29-2014 07:18 AM

"JUMPR" Compact Jump Start Battery

Anybody seen this new "Jumpr" product or have any thoughts? I would have to see this thing jump start a car in person before believing it is possible :confused:

Ooops, this one might belong in "The Unicorn Corral":eek:

This Tiny Battery Will Charge Your Phone and Jumpstart a Car

redneck 04-29-2014 08:21 AM

I would like to see is a load test (amps) along with the voltage, instead of just a voltage test.

Quote:

Capacity: 6000mAh
Size: 139 x 75 x 15mm
Weight: 7 Ounces
Output 1: 12V (150-350A).
Output 2: USB 5V 2.1A
Minimum Cycles: 500+
The (150-350A) variance is quite large. :confused:

Battery Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) for a gas motor is usually figured at 1 CCA per cu. inch. and diesels at 2 CCA per cu. inch of displacement. With more being better.

This "Jumpr" would probably work under ideal conditions.

How many tries you get at it if it doesn't start the first time though is another question...

>

Insight for life 04-29-2014 09:52 AM

I have seen them before recently I like the idea, Great for Hybrids which just need a strong 12v signal to get the HV batteries to start the engine. But I would never use it on another ICE only car because it would probably be one of the "OK we got one chance to jump this car" type of chargers.

ecomodded 04-29-2014 10:04 AM

It appears to be a Gimmick to me, but I bet you could start your RC car/plane with it.
I could charge my cell phone twice with a 6000mah battery pack.
I call bull on this product and suspect its marketed to Woman, who generally do not understand the cars battery amperage or charge requirements.

RobertISaar 04-29-2014 11:48 AM

i've seen stuff like this pop up before..... and i just ran a calculation to be sure:

6000mAH(let's just call it 6 amp-hours)

12 amps for 1/2 hour
24 amps for 1/4 hour
48 amps for 1/8 hour
96 amps for 1/16 hour
192 amps for 1/32 hour
(and to get it in the 300 range)
288 amps for 1/48 hour

1/48 hour is 1 minute, 15 seconds.

that MIGHT be enough current to start your average car in most conditions, but from what i'm told of these units, you don't just hook them up and attempt to start, you let them sit connected for a few minutes before doing anything else.

ecomodded 04-29-2014 12:32 PM

288 amps x 13v = 3744 watts to start a small car

I seriously doubt a 6 amp hour battery will put out 3744 watts worth of energy, that would equal 37 minutes of a 100w drain (3744 divided by 100)

I may well be missing some figures in my simple math above so if you know why this jump starter stores more power then I have denoted please post your math or hypothesis.

RobertISaar 04-29-2014 12:41 PM

my black&decker booster pack(rated at 300 amps instantaneous) has a lead-acid 9AH battery in it... at a full charge, i've managed to turn over and fire a ford 4.6 with a VERY weak battery with it before, no intentional waiting with it hooked up to try and transfer as much current as possible before cranking.

with a 6AH unit..... i would certainly give it as much time as reasonable before attempting to crank to make sure that it could be done in a single cranking attempt, since i don't know how many other chances one would get with that capacity.

Miller88 04-29-2014 12:53 PM

I don't think these (like most) jump packs are meant to start a completely dead car. If you left the headlights on in a well maintained long enough that it just clicks the relay and not long enough to completely drain the battery - this will probably work. It would give just enough to get the vehicle to turn over.

Most vehicles don't need to crank a bunch to get started.

oil pan 4 05-02-2014 03:06 PM

My 395 cubic inch 22:1 compression diesel draws 350 amps when starting, but it does have a gear reduction starter.
The gear reduction starter is smaller, a lot lighter and draws a lot less power than a direct drive starter.
If you dont have a gear reduction starter you might want to see if there is one made by some after market company.
A gear reduction starter would be a good step towards an some type of alt delete or just making your car lighter with the light weight starter and smaller battery.

Cobb 05-02-2014 08:49 PM

You know Ive seen those gear reduction starters and often wonder if the net speed is the same if the load was too much or power too little to spin a direct drive 1:1 ratio starter.