EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Just bought a "fixed" dieselgater (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/just-bought-fixed-dieselgater-37426.html)

pete c 04-14-2019 02:05 PM

Just bought a "fixed" dieselgater

Started seeing them all over the place the last few months. Good to see that VW and the EPA could come to an agreement, sparing these perfectly good cars from the crusher.

I picked up an '11 Sportwagen 6 speed, 55K from a used car dealer/garage.

I've always liked TDIs and was thinking about them when dieselgate hit.

I started looking into it seriously a little more than a week ago. I found out a few things. VW is providing ridiculously good extended warranties on emissions/exhaust/fuel system/ecm/and possibly the entire damn engine itself. This is very nice to have. And if you go VW CPO, the warranty is bumper to bumper 2 year/UNLIMITED mileage.

If you ring up a lot of miles, this could be a bumper to bumper 100K mile warranty, on a used car, who's resale has taken a beating due to the bad press.

I talked to a dealer who said the CPOs are bringing about 2K more than non-CPOs.

If you are in the market and want a comfy highway cruiser and will put a lot of hiway miles on, you really should consider them. If you have an urban commute, go get a prius.

I paid 9450. I think this was a fair price. If I was willing to go with a DSG, I could have done better. But, TDIs, IMO are much better with 3 pedals.

The 6MTs are getting scarce and the dealers know it. The DSGs are all over the place. Some dealers have 10-15 DSGs and not a single manual JSW.

No mods yet, nor will there be any to the drivetrain, so long as that warranty is in effect. Once it's over, if I still have it, maybe a DPF filter/EGR delete. We'll see. It will be a while.

Piotrsko 04-15-2019 10:06 AM

Welcome to the orphan club. Egr delete, ok, dpf delete for me is a lot like a cat delete (kinda senseless) because it does something actually useful.

Here on the left coast, nobody wants a clutch but they still aren't around. Mostly German made.

My $0.02 YMMV.

skyking 04-15-2019 10:14 AM

thats a good deal. i am hunting for a dsg due to surgeries, if you see a hot deal please post it up.

oil pan 4 04-15-2019 11:02 AM

You should unfix it.

Hersbird 04-15-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking (Post 596131)
thats a good deal. i am hunting for a dsg due to surgeries, if you see a hot deal please post it up.

Missoula VW has 30 total and 6 of them are manuals I don't know what's a good deal on one.
https://www.missoulavw.com/VehicleSe...mission=Manual

pete c 04-15-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 596137)
You should unfix it.

i may.....after the VW warranty runs out. Until then, I will not give them a reason to wiggle out of their coverage.

pete c 04-15-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking (Post 596131)

Don't know about Washington, but in New England, there are tons of DSGs and I think one can be picked up at a better deal than the manuals.

A good point to make is that CPOs have a 2 year unlimited bumper to bumper mileage warranty. If you crank up the miles, this could be huge.

oil pan 4 04-16-2019 09:59 AM

Oh I didn't know it was still under warranty.
Yeah don't do anything that could void the warranty unless it can be easily undone.

skyking 04-17-2019 09:05 AM

i see the 2013 golfs with lower miles for $12k around here.

pete c 05-10-2019 09:24 PM

Have had it for a bit over 2 weeks and 3K miles. Absolutely love it. Have been between 43-45 mpg. Zero mods, driven for mileage, but not driven slowly. I suspect I could flog this thing mercillessly and still be above 35 mpg.

Will keep bone-stock drivetrain wise for warranty, but have considered an airdam and roof rack delete.

Has anyone done a roof rack delete on a JSW? Is it a PITA?

It already has a very nice belly pan. Cleanest stock underside I have seen.