Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Priinocchio - '17 Toyota Prius Two Eco
90 day: 66.34 mpg (US)

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 38.7 mpg (US)
I've heard some unconfirmed reports that some mid-year changes were made in the '08 models, and that since then the vehicles are of a somewhat higher quality.

Anyone able to confirm this info?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
This was recently discussed in Green Home Huddle. They have several threads discussing Zap! including an interview with Gary Starr (runs Zap!) This might be a useful thread:
Does ZAP deserve its bad rap? - Huddler's Green Home Community
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

From what i've heard, the '09 Xebras are superior in every way to the original '06's and '07's. They look to be a solid vehicle, and when the Battery Tech advances you could be looking at a decent boost to power and nearly double the range...

Money forbids purchase (or fabrication) of an EV right now, but i've often considered the potential of Ecomodding a Xebra sedan...you know, lucking into an old '06 with the original design flaws and a dead pack, getting a great deal on the 'dead' car and bringing it back to life with a few improvements? I often thought the Xebra could benefit from a weight reduction-if you don't need four seats, rip out the back bench seat and make a sturdy fiberglass cover for an expanded Cargo area...remove the back doors, mount fiberglass panels with Lexan windows instead...add a battery for 84V(a very common Xebra upgrade), etc.

Not that i'm recommending that you start cutting into your precious new vehicle or anything, just thinking outside the box...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Juiced Drag Racing

1929 Model A on E85 - '29 Ford Model A Street Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
I've heard some unconfirmed reports that some mid-year changes were made in the '08 models, and that since then the vehicles are of a somewhat higher quality.

The original Zap Xebras had a Alltrax controller and a different charger than our 08. The steel models seem even better still. Ours is fiberglass. Great for the beach touring we will be doing with it.

We have the much better Curtis (I love Alltrax, but for this application, the Curtis is better) and a Delta Q Charger. The "Car" runs great and we purchased it for less than 20% of the original asking price new. A new set of batteries was all it needed and we are off and running.

I will be adding the 84 volt upgrade which only consists of adding a battery and charger in the correct location.

Insuring it in SC was a breeze and it is classified as a "Enclosed motorcycle". Since it is a three wheeler NO special license was needed, not even a motorcycle license. (check local listings!)

More later.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced View Post
Insuring it in SC was a breeze and it is classified as a "Enclosed motorcycle". Since it is a three wheeler NO special license was needed, not even a motorcycle license.
SC California was a snap for insuring my electric 3-wheel City-EL "clamshell". I sold it because of moving, and not finding 1 charging location in a residence after a month of searching. I just gave up and kept my old garage.

Congrats on your Zap. 2 of them were here, but disappeared. I keep the E-Pod 3-wheeler in my old garage; so I have to drive the Aspire there- drive and re-charge the E-Pod there- then drive the Aspire home. Very inconvenient. I hope to buy another EV someday. The City-EL was a blast but impractical right now.

Reply  Post New Thread