Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
The difference between the US and Germany....

The US is bassackwards as usual?

How a Country With One of the World's Largest Economies Is Ditching Fossil Fuels | Alternet

GERMANY

So, what is this transition plan and is it an energy and climate innovator or, as skeptics claim, a plan made to fail? The targets are impressive. TheEnergiewende includes phasing out all nuclear power by 2022 and cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 80% from 1990 levels and shifting the nation’s energy sources to 80% renewables by 2050. Additionally, theRenewable Energy Act gives priority to renewable energy in the energy grid before dirty forms of energy, securing a place for renewables in the energy marketplace. The plan also includes major expansions of the energy grid, consumer-based incentives, market-based emissions reductions and, all in all, reads as a gigantic climate and renewable energy high five.

US

In stark contrast, the world is watching closely as the U.S. undergoes a climate-unfortunate “re-industrialization”. Our own domestic energy transformation includes the “shale gas miracle”—or curse—of untapped natural shale gas reserves and the increased call for hydraulic fracking—a method of natural gas extraction that has lead to dramatic health and environmental concerns by many communities and aburgeoning anti-fracking movement. Many speak of the “shale gas miracle” as the key to U.S.energy independence. The U.S. Energy Information Administration predicts a 44% increase in U.S. natural gas production from 2011 to 2040. Additionally, according to aNovember, 2012,L.A. Timesarticle, “The U.S. will become the world’s top producer of oil by 2020, a net exporter of oil around 2030 and nearly self-sufficient in energy by 2035, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency.” The popular rhetoric of U.S. energy independence seems to be the only climate or energy discussion to have successfully infiltrated U.S. media and crossed party lines—with “energy security” as a close runner-up.

Public Perception: It’s Not “If,” It’s How

As U.S. media outlets continue to ignore the clear, international climate science consensus and debate the existence of manmade climate change, the German media—and public—is on the road to energy independence AND cutting their climate impacts drastically. Even when talking with a former parliament member of one of Germany’s more conservative parties, he simultaneously touted the need for expansion of the fossil fuel industry, while saying, “of course climate change is real and we need to take action”. To many U.S. conservatives, climate change has somehow become a part of the “liberal agenda” of big government, tree hugging and a communist plot to destroy the nation’s economy.

Regardless of party lines, there’s an obvious breach of communication between climate scientists, policy makers, the media, and the American public.*

*Right wing stink tanks?

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev

(Yes i went there.)

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)

Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And why is Germany like the US? Both are subject to delusion: in the case of Germany, that "ditching nuclear power" thing. Which of course means that the baseload energy they can't import from France will be produced by coal-fired power plants.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Electricity in the US costs on average $0.13/kwh

Electricity in Germany $0.31/kwh, 5th highest in the world.

I would like to be able to put down more of what Germany is doing, but in fact they are doing many things right.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
The US is bassackwards as usual?
You lost me there.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting. But which country now has BY FAR the worlds biggest military...is ignoring international law along with it's little friend in the ME....is essentially lining up to be...or is lined up to be the next country to go bonkers and try to rule the world using military might? Also can't seem to take care of it's own infrastructure while it tears up other countries and then does a half*ss rebuild? Has increased it's military spending by 50% in a decade...now has a seriously large internal police force. Is up to it's eyeballs in debt....ALWAYS destabilizing. I wonder what country that could be....???

Trust me...we're heading down that road...yes...we went there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post

(Yes i went there.)

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
radioranger

Well there is plenty of renewable energy here they wont let us use, trees, here in New England there are way too many trees that are unmanaged, at some point the forest fire risk will be unreal, downed trees everywhere, and the ones that are left are way too close together to optimize growth, be pretty easy to burn them also since we already burn most of our garbage here, course trees are sacred but now look a terrible mess along the roadsides and interstates the locust trees grow like crazy and very easy to harvest, course it doesnt fit the agenda of controlling the masses and more taxes to feed the ever larger government . hundred of people could be put to work today pulling just a fraction of these trees down and making power, renewable power.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
...is ignoring international law along with it's little friend in the ME...
Well, if international bigotry law says I have to not resist when a bunch of religious fanatics decide to commit genocide, then you better bet I'm going to ignore international law.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Looks like the US caught a tiger by the tail and found the same as the French and Russians found?

I think the US was used to throwing it's muscle around and got bit.

Now the citizens pay...as per usual....as the "war" expands into the US, Africa, and elsewhere?

This is because the average citizen can't make the connection between the prices they pay (in so many ways) and the SOS policies.

Once a war starts it takes on a life of it's own and becomes it's own excuse....resulting in the SOS.

This is known as the "You sunk my battleship!" syndrome.

WAR is the US religion?

Speaking of genocide:

Cost Of War

Number Of Iraqis Slaughtered In US War And Occupation Of Iraq "1,455,590"

Number of U.S. Military Personnel Sacrificed (Officially acknowledged) In America's War On Iraq: 4,883

Number Of International Occupation Force Troops Slaughtered In Afghanistan : 3,243

Cost of War in Iraq & Afghanistan

Total Cost of Wars Since 2001

$1,405,253,994,658

* on borrowed money

Cost of War to the United States | COSTOFWAR.COM

Recently read that they've found that the 500,000 brain injuries from the 2 wars usually result in permanent damage....starting a gradual brain deterioration...another cost of the wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, if international bigotry law says I have to not resist when a bunch of religious fanatics decide to commit genocide, then you better bet I'm going to ignore international law.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've seen a few groves of old growth in the west...not to be missed. Around here there was originally probably 95% old growth hardwoods...still a very few patches of large trees....not the originals I'm pretty sure.

Natural old growth results in well spaced out large trees...current practices in the west result in closely spaced stick farms?

Here they sometimes clean out the fence rows...pile up the brush and burn it. While in Africa women trudge out into the bush for a few sticks.

I think the issue is...if there isn't big profits in it...it doesn't get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
Well there is plenty of renewable energy here they wont let us use, trees, here in New England there are way too many trees that are unmanaged, at some point the forest fire risk will be unreal, downed trees everywhere, and the ones that are left are way too close together to optimize growth, be pretty easy to burn them also since we already burn most of our garbage here, course trees are sacred but now look a terrible mess along the roadsides and interstates the locust trees grow like crazy and very easy to harvest, course it doesnt fit the agenda of controlling the masses and more taxes to feed the ever larger government . hundred of people could be put to work today pulling just a fraction of these trees down and making power, renewable power.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread