Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Just wondering?

So in reading about WVO/SVO and biodiesel production, I read a few things that I didn't know.

Namely:
  • WVO isn't legal for use in on-road vehicles according to the EPA. and could result in a fine up to $2700.
  • SVO has the same problem as WVO, except you're not recycling anything, so you can't even use that as an eco-excuse.
  • All the filtering/BS you have to go though to make WVO usable in a vehicle, it's just as simple to make some REAL biodiesel.
  • Real BD production means no fuel system modifications.

So, I just decided to make myself a BD procession station... in researching how to work with/produce BD, I found out that there are disposal issues with the "leftovers" of BD production, namely Glycerine (Glycerides).

There are companies which are trying to find efficient ways to use bacteria (E.Coli) to convert glycerides into Ethanol, which can:
  • Make biodiesel production more profitable, reducing fuel cost and overhead.
  • Create a cheaper fuel for the dilution/post processing of petrol gasoline (E85, for instance).
  • Create an alternative to gasoline altogether, in the case that vehicles can be retrofitted for use with ethanol.

And the best part, is that it can all be done from a waste product used in several facets of industry!

What do you all think?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Also, because of the glyceride content, WVO and SVO both produce more Nitrogen Oxides than petrol-diesel does, which could lead to an issue... on top of that, burning glycerides at temps under (is it 1000*?) can have serious health effects... 10% or more of oil used for BD can be converted to Glycerine... that's a pretty serious number.

Reply  Post New Thread