Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
seminars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Thanks everyone.

Aerohead.....when you say "....in the seminars..." what do you mean? Is there a section of the site I haven't explored yet? I would love to read more and try to learn more. If I decide to try something like this I probably won't change the tonneau to a half tonneau.

What I would really like to do is rework my old aero cap that I linked to earlier and adapt it to the new truck. The original cap was for a short bed stepside. The new truck is a regular bed fleetside. Time is at a minimum right now with work and the drive to and from. I still like the cab/wing idea though. It's amazing how easy things work in your mind.
5th down from the top of the aero forum is a sticky with some seminars I did long ago.There might be some data in there which could help your project.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i
Quote:
Originally Posted by self
I like kach22i spoiler for the crescent-shaped back edge. I'll be it makes pretty vortexes under polarized light.
That design has been CFD illustrated by two different people, one of them a professional and that wasn't an issue.
What wasn't being an issue? Being purdy?

I just spent too much time trying to find the word for this kind of wind tunnel photography which uses polarized light.

I'd expect inward rolling vortexes off the corners of the cab and I was thinking about how the curved edge might differ from a straight one.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk
Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
What wasn't being an issue?..........

I'd expect inward rolling vortexes off the corners of the cab and I was thinking about how the curved edge might differ from a straight one.
Pick-up truck cabin top rear corners are similar to SUV roof rear corners in that air flowing along the sides and roof may be traveling different distances over different obstacles or surfaces.

What this means is there a potential for one plane of air to fold into the other because of differing pressures.

Having nothing at the corner leaves this state in it's original messy state (my design currently).

Having something at the rear corners I'm told at best can delay vortex formation not eliminate it.

As I have not yet repaired the mess Photoshop left us, it is difficult to discuss in the depth I would like to. And remember, the sickle shape roof wing I have is the result of using some scrap piece that just happened to fit. As an experiment I just wanted to see what would happen.

I don't claim this to be some stroke of genius just that it turned out to be non-invasive at the corners.

Phase-2 design studies call for side wings and big generous curves at cabin corners where side wings meet top wing. Very similar to the rear spoilers on econoboxes posted in the forum. They sort of look like hoodies.

This is the direction I would point Hat_Man to, just supersize what you see on the current generation of SUV's, one up them.

Manufacturer's stuff has to appeal to the masses and be car wash proof as well as survive the cost analysis engineering process where ever fraction of a cent counts.

Our projects can be what ever we want them to be.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 05-20-2018 at 01:21 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-23-2018), freebeard (05-20-2018), hat_man (05-20-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread