EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Kinda ScanGauge w/o OBD (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/kinda-scangauge-w-o-obd-11596.html)

So_SiMpLe_ 12-28-2009 07:30 PM

Kinda ScanGauge w/o OBD

Hi there!

Is there any kinda equipment like scangauge for cars without OBD? No electronics at all.

The only one I know is the vacum meter.

Thanks!

gone-ot 12-28-2009 07:44 PM

...how far back year-wise are you talking about?

...if it's got electronic fuel injection of any sort (throttle body, manifold, etc.) then possibly the MPGuino is usable?

...if it's straight carbureted, you might have problems.

So_SiMpLe_ 12-28-2009 08:14 PM

It's an old diesel engine from 1992 a ford fiesta 1.8D, I think the vacuum is the best solution right?

Daox 12-28-2009 08:16 PM

Does the engine have a throttle? If not, a vacuum is pretty useless.

gone-ot 12-28-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 150481)
Does the engine have a throttle? If not, a vacuum is pretty useless.

...as Daox states, a vacuum gauge is only usable if the engine is "throttled," since diesel engines are un-throttled with engine speed being controlled by injector fuel volume.

So_SiMpLe_ 12-29-2009 06:24 AM

But you can plug a vacuum meter on the brake vacuum lines right?

Won't it give the right data?

gone-ot 12-29-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So_SiMpLe_ (Post 150552)
But you can plug a vacuum meter on the brake vacuum lines right?

...yes, you could connect it there, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by So_SiMpLe_ (Post 150552)
Won't it give the right data?

...no, because THAT vacuum I believe is a mechanically 'pumped' vacuum and not the diesels' manifold vacuum which is basically atmospheric pressure, ie: NO vacuum.

...you really want to measure how hard (or not) the engine is "working" not the barometric atmospheric pressure that tells you the altitude.

So_SiMpLe_ 12-29-2009 05:43 PM

But i fitted on a gasoline Seat Ibiza like i said and was working! It connects to the intake manifold! Right?

So can do nothing to scan anyway the engine?

So_SiMpLe_ 12-29-2009 06:01 PM

But i fitted on a gasoline Seat Ibiza like i said and was working! It connects to the intake manifold! Right?

So can do nothing to scan anyway the engine?

Piwoslaw 12-30-2009 10:45 AM

A gasoline engine was vacuum in the manifold, that's just the way it works. This vacuum can later be used for brakes, etc. In a diesel there is no vacuum, so the brake assist has to be generated by an external pump powered by the engine. A diesel would work just fine without the vacuum pump, in fact it would have that much less load on its accessory belt or camshaft.
If your diesel has a turbo, then you can monitor the intake air pressure. It's not much, but always something.