Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
In all reallity 250-300 miles would be all that is needed if you take the model of drive for 4 hours then take an hour break to eat/relax while the car charges. That would also allow the charging current to be drastically reduced to the 10's of kw.

55mph*4hours =220miles (plus much less energy required)
75mph*4hours = 300miles (1.45 hours further traveled vs 55)

Many people may be willing to make that much of a sacrifice provided having charging stations at where they are going to stop.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
Many people may be willing to make that much of a sacrifice provided having charging stations at where they are going to stop.
I'm just stating what an average American's perception might be, and thus far, very few have been willing to make the types of sacrifices you describe. Granted, charging stations aren't readily available, but we're kind of suffering from the chicken/egg scenario right now. It seems apparent, though, that investors aren't willing to take the gamble that Americans will be amenable to the idea of EV charging stations. Don't underestimate the power of convenience.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
My wife and I are almost driving on trips that way as it is. It gives us a chance to stretch our legs, relax and get off the road for a little bit.

edit to add: It will take time, right now mass produced plug in hybrids are beginning to enter the market. As they and the occasional EV model become a larger percentage of the market the demand for charging stations will increase and the market will follow.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Gray Jellybean - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 62.76 mpg (US)
I don't know if taxation is the cure to fuel mileage. What have I heard, "40mpg is the new 30mpg?" Great, but for the average driver, that is 125 gallons a year. So even at your $5/gal gas, you are saving about $50 per month for driving a car that is less enjoyable/convenient/comfortable to drive. Car companies need to make cars people want to drive that just happen to be fuel efficient. I think that new Buick is a good example. Both versions are great cars at the same price, but the eco version will save the driver money. A civic hybrid is a great choice because it will save you money before the 60 month loan is up for all of the people who want a civic. The Cruze Eco costs more than the base but the fuel savings offset the nicer options after four years. That is what will get buyers on board: fuel savings that will let you afford a nicer car or save money. Let the buyer choose. Anything else is a lack of understanding of economics.

Reply  Post New Thread