Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Places to loose weight in a Mk1 VW: in no particular order
1)remove undercoating from bottom of car
2)remove asphalt sound deadening that is attached to the inside floor
3)remove sound deadening under the carpet - VW has used several types over the years, sand, thick felt, foam- westy is most likely foam backed rubberized cardboard. and from under the hood if it's still there
4)You should already have aluminum bumpers, if not, the steel core bumpers are 45# each.
5)replace the telescopic bumper mounts with solid stamped steel bumper mounts from base model.
6) remove any unused carpet and side panels.
7) Solid disk front brake rotors- your car should have them already
8) light weight rims and tires
9) replace factory seats with something lighter like Lotus Elise seats or aluminum racing seats.
10) replace widow glass with lexan,polycarbonate etc - light weight plastic but I'm not sure which will last the longest/not scratch easy
11) make bolt on body parts like hood, fenders, doors, hatch, etc out of carbon fiber.
12) smaller alternator and battery
13) replace any steel brackets with ones made of aluminum.
14) remove any excess muffler/exhaust components. - replace cast iron manifold with tubular headers.

A friend has a 77 Rabbit that is in the 1600lbs range. Once you are done striping all the comfort items out of the car you will be left with a tin can brick with the aerodynamics of said brick. you will need ear plugs to drive = you wont want to drive it after spending lots of time and money. That will give you excelent savings in fuel since you wont be driving anyplace.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

About more aero bumpers, I have seen the big bumpers off of 90ish jetta's and golfs morphed onto Mk1 rabbit and pickup bodies. Actually looks decent. Or find the clipper kit off a 88 and newer convertible rabbit.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
to the OP: Hi there neighbor!

I know the terrain you drive very well. It's just about PERFECT for pulse and glide. I agree that weight isn't too much of an impediment. I do get lower mileage when I'm loaded down, but it's only by a small margin. I'd go for aero and easy weight mods first.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread