Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Four Door Civic LX - '09 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.72 mpg (US)
Hello. New member w/ 2012 Civic Si Coupe

I am only on my 2nd tank of gas and just started this one trying to maximize my MPG. According to the built in info displays, I have about 170 miles, 3 days worth of commutes, and am getting 39.2MPG.

Only on the last trip home did I try engine off coasting and engine off at stop lights. This was also my first time attempting to bump start the engine. There is a ScanGuageII in the mail.

So far, it seems like a fair amount of work and I wonder about the extra wear engine off will add to the components in the car. I'll need to find out just how much it saves me vs leaving the engine idling instead of going engine off. Adding a switch would definitely make it more convenient.

Thanks for all of the information I have found so far on the site. I bought the car for something fun to drive with decent mileage, but didn't know it could do this well.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
That's real good fuel economy, especially considering the EPA estimates of 22/31/25!

I've found engine off coasting (EOC) and off at lights to be powerful tools for increased mpg. You'll be able to test it with your ScanGauge and see your results that way.

You probably know to bump start in top gear, just briefly engaging the clutch to spin the engine, then put it in the proper gear for your road speed. But I mentioned it just in case...

I haven't seen any negative consequences from EOC. I've been using EOC on the Civic regularly for a year and a half with a fuel cutoff switch that makes it easy. Before that I used the ign. key but not as often. My daily commute is 55 miles each way, so the car gets a good workout over time.

Good luck with it!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I also use EOC with no problems so far. Bump starting it even at 50 mph in 5th gear is not going to cause anymore wear than using the clutch to shift if you do it correctly. Several members have been EOC for years and over 80,000 miles still on the original clutch.

Reply  Post New Thread