Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
It can, but probably won't, unless it's CARB certified, which means it's been tested for functionality by the People's Republic of California's Air Research Board.

Any CX/VX exhaust manifold and catalytic converter will bolt on and function. The HF (2nd gen CRX) manifold also works, but then you need an HF catalytic converter, which will not work in your "State" due to emissions restrictions.

Your intake manifold is stock, the stainless mesh thing is just a filter. While it likely will not pass emissions spec in your "state", it's easy enough to replace with stock parts. You will need a stock airbox and intake "tube". It's a rubber pipe that runs to the manifold (where the right end of that silver tube clamps on) at the throttle body. The air box bolts down behind the right headlight (seated in the car, left side as you're facing the underhood area).

You can usually get the CX/VX header pretty cheap, but sometimes not. Depends on the moon, really. They're great to make turbo headers from for guys that mod their cars, so prices fluctuate on them from time to time. If you're willing to buy new, just get a new VX header and catalytic converter and sell the header, converter, and mid-pipe that's on your car. Chances are, the whole exhaust will need to be fitted as stock parts.

However, if you look at your header/cat combination, and there are C.A.R.B. tags on them, you'll be fine and it will still be eligible to be tested in your state. A header/exhaust won't necessarily stop you from getting great MPGs, however, if you go into super-hyper-miler mode, it might work against you slightly. The difference is probably negligible, though.

FWIW, on my 3rd gen Civic sedan, I saw a either no change or a slight increase in MPG when I added a header and full 2" exhaust. The engine was tuned more for output than MPG, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
ian (05-15-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
Congrats on the VX find ian.

As for your codes, if the prior owner was ricing, I would do a thorough check of the wiring, plug/unplug engine bay connectors a few times, check that ground straps are clean and no broken/bare harness wires. My DX would throw codes regularly, a quick plug/unplug of the harness would fix it, just a bad prong in the plug. If you do a search on here/elsewhere you should find the Civic shop manual in pdf format for free... has all the flowcharts for dealers to follow to trace codes. Very useful, just print out the pages for the codes you have and follow the chart.

As for the header, mines had one since I bought it, I'm very pleased with my MPG. If its a commuter car save the time and money and leave the header in. Spend the time on your driving style, and the money on a scangauge or vac gauge. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to tim3058 For This Useful Post:
ian (05-15-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread