Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1990 Standard Civic Model..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New guy here at Ecomodder, coolest website i have found;
i had some questions:
How should I modify a 1990 Honda Civic "Standard model" hatchback for increased fuel efficiency? Stock except for a newer engine, and it also has the stock 4 spd transmission
I read Aero Civic and the other similar Honda from "Andrew J"
BUT both are newer than my hatchback and i am unsure if their results would be my results????

1: I have concluded that a "Kammback" would be the "most cost effective" modification for improved fuel efficiency...AM I CORRECT???
I liked this one from "Andrew J". i believe he sold the car

1A: IF i can make a Kammback, what should i do first? what is a good blue print to follow?
A; remove or retain the stock spoiler?
B: what angles to attempt to obtain?
C: how big do i make it?

2: What about a "Front Splinter'??

Would this improve fuel efficiency????

3A: What about a transmission swap?
I have the stock 4 speed transmission and want a 5 speed transmission swap IF i can get better MPG : my uncle advised me to keep th 4 spd because it is more durable than a 5 spd transmission ???

3B: I recall someone changed their saturn transmission with very little difference in MPG.. what about my car???

4: HOW and WhY should I "tuft test" ? what is the process? What am i looking for?

Anything else???
Please move or do what is needed.
My E-mail. thanks.
tanjulio@hotmail.com

Last edited by tanjulio; 01-07-2010 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: mistake
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
One quick way to test your car's aeromodding potential is to see (after first installing a MPGuino so you can measure your instantanious mileage) how much your mileage improves when you are drafting another vehicle, as that is the mileage you could get if you installed a full set of effectively designed aeromods.

A 4 speed to 5 speed transmission swap would only be worthwhile if the 5 speed resulted in a lower engine RPM in top gear than the 4 speed.

Turf testing is an easy way to see where you have attached and turbulent airflows on your stock vehicle and on your aero mods. It can help you decide where to locate and how to shape your aeromods.

Look at the various sticky lists on this site to get ideas for aeromods and the optimum angles needed. The rest is up to your construction skills and your imagination.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you can pick up a transmission from a 1990-91 CRX HF, you'll have about the tallest gearing that you can get with a D-series Honda motor, and it will be a 5-speed. Those transmissions are about as reliable as the rest of the car, so don't be surprised if it goes for several hundred thousand miles before it wears out. (Unless someone screws it up like I did.) It should help your fuel economy, even over the four-speed, especially on the freeway.

A splitter is more likely to get scraped off on your driveway or a speed bump than it is likely to help with fuel economy. A really good under-tray can make even an air dam much less helpful than it might otherwise be.

If you can make your car look like Andrew's above, you'll have a good leg up on much of the aero stuff...

-soD
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1: Where do i find this template to add place ontop of a pic of my car??

2: AND IF I FIND IT CAN IT HELP WITH ME MAKE THE IDEAL KAMMBACK?
I read everyone of the links to Kammback and it seems that 14.5 degrees is the ideal angle to strive for but some have 12 degrees..

3: WHICH IS THE BETTER KAMMBACK DESIGN for my car?

IF anyone wants to make an electronic template for me to follow feel free to do so...

3a: I would like to do a Kammback like Andrew Ji's picture on #1. it is almost vertical where the Kammback ends, maybe 10 degrees tilted the the lowest portion is attached to the end of the car. similar to TomO's VX but his extended further and the ends where not horizontal..they had an angle of about 15 degrees from horizontal.

3b: PIWOSLAW"S 307 Kammback seems different.. the end tilt's around 40% from vertical..then ends meet direct into the lights.. looks very factory. very cool.

3c: METRO MPG's is totally different. the end if his Kammback is similiar to AndrewJ's almost vertical but it extend's further from the car and the lower portion ends are horizontal..

So, what is the recommendation for my car????

Last edited by tanjulio; 01-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: confusion
Reply  Post New Thread