Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Low miles project car. 1995 Buick Century.

I've a 1995 Buick Century Limited. 67K miles. Silver with grey leather interior.

I bought it four years ago with only 45K miles.

As for MPG, on trips to Boise, 75 miles with part at 75 MPH it's averaged around 26 MPG. The speedometer does read a bit slow so I go by my GPS.

Yeah, that's ~26 on a 150+ mile round trip with speeds between 45 and 75, always at the speed limit as much as possible* depending on traffic. I'm sure a serious hypermiler could easily better that. Of course in between trips with highway and freeway sections, puttering around town mostly at 25 it can't do that good.

Work that's been done.
Struts, rear shocks, rear brake cylinders, knock sensor, transmission mount replaced, radiator cap, belt tensioner and belt, hood strut.

Tires have about 5,000 miles on them. Nothing wrong with the transmission.

What is wrong is the engine has a noise. I poked around with a mechanic's stethoscope and the noise is loudest around the valve covers, and the water pump sounds like it's due for replacement. (Can only hear the pump noise using the stethoscope.)

Common issue with these 3100 V6 engines is the rocker arm bolts coming loose. A fix might be as simple as getting a set of valve cover gaskets, removing the covers, tightening the bolts to the *revised* (higher than original) torque specification and replacing the covers.

No metal or water in the oil. Never had a problem with the intake gaskets, which is the other common issue with the 3100 V6. I've always run Bar's Leak in the coolant.

See pics here. 1995 Buick Century 67K non smoker
Video of noisy engine at idle here.

Car is located in Weiser, Idaho.

I'm open to offers on price but do keep in mind this is exceptionally low miles for a 1995 vehicle.

P.S. It's a heck of a lot nicer than what many modders on this forum have started with.

*Idaho has not one but two things in State traffic code about holding up traffic, rarely enforced but I know who'd get nailed for it should I be putting along if an officer decided it was time to start handing out slowpoke tickets.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread