Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #341 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hyosung - '07 Hyosung gt250r
90 day: 55.49 mpg (US)

Burgman - '07 Burgman 650 k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
@Beatr911, Thanks, I'll be sticking with gasoline for now; electric bikes are still pretty pricey. I may switch to a Honda CBR250 if I can get one for a reasonable price. My ninjette has over 42K miles on it so it may be time to freshen up my ride.
@hyper-miler, Where are you based at? It would be good to meet up sometime. Also you should think about riding with us at the San Luis Obispo Vetter Challenge on Oct. 11.
I am in the East Bay on the other side of Carquinez and Martinez bridges. I will try to make it to the Oct 11 challenge with a new nose which according to janvos should reduce "side wind sensitivity". Thinking about jump starting that process by buying a used Cessna/Piper nose cone.
Why the major drop in MPG on the east bound leg from Utah? Strong headwinds on hwy 80? On my return trip on hwy 50 I was expecting strong head winds but found them coming from the NW.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #342 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

l&s' Jag - '00 Jaguar S-Type SE
90 day: 25.86 mpg (US)

l&s' Vision - '82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
90 day: 59.92 mpg (US)

L&S' Greenaero Ninja 250 - '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F Ninja 250R
90 day: 97.24 mpg (US)

SilverAero Ninja 250 - '04 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja
90 day: 88.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-miler View Post
I am in the East Bay on the other side of Carquinez and Martinez bridges. I will try to make it to the Oct 11 challenge with a new nose which according to janvos should reduce "side wind sensitivity". Thinking about jump starting that process by buying a used Cessna/Piper nose cone.
Why the major drop in MPG on the east bound leg from Utah? Strong headwinds on hwy 80? On my return trip on hwy 50 I was expecting strong head winds but found them coming from the NW.
Great! We look forward to meeting you at the San luis Obispo Challenge.

As far as the mileage drop, I attribute most of it to fighting some tough winds, some steep climbs and that I was pushing the "Ratliner" extra hard to test my cooling intake changes. It still ran at the upper end of the temperature gauge but it was cooling better than my previous outing in Ohio.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #343 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Friday morning my brother Chet and I started our journey to San Luis Obispo for the Central Coast Classic Motorcycle Show and the last round of the Vetter Challenge fuel economy competition series. We met up at my home in Livermore and proceeded to Hwy 84 to Hwy 680 to Hwy 101. It was late enough that we missed the bulk of the heavy commute traffic between Fremont and San Jose. The weather was warm and clear and we had smooth sailing at 70-75 mph for most of the way. Hwy 101 is quite scenic after leaving the developed areas of San Jose. We stopped to refuel Chet's '86 Nighthawk 650 (I, of course didn't need to refuel) in Gonzalez. A guy came over to look at my streamliner and it turned out he knew Craig Vetter and asked to say Hi to him when he saw him later in SLO. From there we went up the steep climb near Paso Robles. I pulled off 101 as my temperature gauge was right at the upper limit. We stopped in front of a National Guard base and the gate sentries had to check it out. After a brief cool down we resumed the ride to SLO and checked into our motel.
We met up with Craig Vetter and Alan Smith and rode over to the world famous Madonna Inn for some coffee and pie. It is quite spectacular and well worth a visit.
We met up later at the motorcycle show host hotel for a get-together and some presentations where Craig also spoke. Lots of interesting stuff about collectible motos and other topics.
Saturday we awoke early so that I could repair some cooling ducting that had come loose in the nose of my streamliner and was rubbing the front tire. After that we topped off our fuel tanks and reported to the show. There we saw hundreds of rare, unique and beautiful motos; Ariels, Velocettes, Hendersons, Crockers, Nortons, Bultacos, Indian, HD,, Brough Superior, Vincent, Triumphs, BSA’s, NSU, Ducati, Laverda, Moto Guzzi, Puch, Amazonas etc. Amazing!
We also displayed our streamliners and lots of people peppered us with questions about them. We ended up with 5 streamliners; Craig’s Helix 250, Alan’s Ninjette, Terry Hershner’s Zero, Rohit Sahdev’s Suzuki Burgman 650 and mine. We also had Glen from Alberta Canada with his Royal Enfield 500 with a partially streamlined 1-wheeled trailer. We commenced the Challenge by heading North on Hwy101 before turning off into the twisty back roads between Santa Maria and King City. Enroute Terry had some handling problems so we stopped to check it out. He had installed a new front fork just before the event. We found a loose front axle clamp with a missing bolt. We were able to fix it by removing a bolt from Chet’s handlebar clamp and resumed riding. The roads were pretty bumpy and Terry continued to have problems, hearing some clunking in his forks. We stopped again, rechecked and tightened every bolt in the front suspension. We continued the ride at a reduced pace to King City where we had lunch and Terry recharged his Zero. We got back on 101 and completed the ride at Salinas.
We refueled and collected our fuel receipts so calculate the results. I went 160 miles and only needed .855 gallons to top off my tank. It worked out to 1.9 cents /mile and 187 MPG. I was surprised that it was this good; it ended up being the winning performance. Alan finished in second with ~ 156 MPG and Terry finished third with just under 3 cents/mile. We rode from Salinas to Craig’s ranch in Carmel where we got to see his shop and do some more visiting and bench racing.
Sunday morning we got together at a Starbucks in Monterey before parting ways to head home. It was uneventful other encountered some strong winds that almost pushed me out of my lane near San Jose and Fremont. I had a great time and will cherish this as one of my best motorcycle adventures ever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to low&slow For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-13-2014), jkv357 (10-13-2014), renault_megane_dci (10-14-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #344 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
(SNIP)
We refueled and collected our fuel receipts so calculate the results. I went 160 miles and only needed .855 gallons to top off my tank. It worked out to 1.9 cents /mile and 187 MPG. I was surprised that it was this good; it ended up being the winning performance. Alan finished in second with ~ 156 MPG and Terry finished third with just under 3 cents/mile. We rode from Salinas to Craig’s ranch in Carmel where we got to see his shop and do some more visiting and bench racing.
(SNIP)
Wow! Congrats Vic!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #345 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Congratulations! The improvements in efficiency are amazing. The benchmark of 175 mpg is surpassed. That is the equivalent of a car pool efficiency of 5 people in a 35 mpg sedan or 7 people in a 25 mpg van.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #346 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Congratulations Vic! You guys are pushing some big mpg numbers!
What did you change to get the high mileage on this challenge?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #347 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Garth, Jay and Grant, thank you!!

The latest modifications for SLO were the installation of front and rear wheel discs and coroplast engine side covers. I didn't have time to test the differences that these changes made but the wheel discs felt like they made the streamliner pass through the air a bit better. The engine side covers were primarily to prevent the hot air from the radiator from cooking my feet and lower legs. I'm wondering now if there is some benefit that I didn;t anticipate ( fuel warming, reduced air drag through the cooling system? )

The course and relatively slow pace definitely suited my machine and riding style. I was able to concentrate much more on saving fuel than on riding at a spirited pace. I was able to coast a lot and kept brake usage to a minimum.
The Following User Says Thank You to low&slow For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #348 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The wheel discs are a proven technique on bicycles. Driving style is equally important.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #349 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Coasting down ?
Lucky you Craig didn't notice ...
Old 10-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #350 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
Coasting down ?
Lucky you Craig didn't notice ...
Ha - I was thinking that too!

Reply  Post New Thread