Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
I do have a hitch-mounted rack in the garage...problem is that when you put the bike on it, it blocks my tail lights and access to the rear door. In order to avoid this, i would have to buy a 300 euro thule rack that has separate tail lights and folds backwards out of the rear doors way. In my opinion not worth to spend hundreds to save a few euros per year.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
I would say wire in a trailer plug and get a set of trailer lights and mount them. I have a 1 1/4" receiver on my car and the wifes. In June we did a roadtrip to California and back. On the way back we had a large tote with camping gear on the basket, as well as a full trunk and back seat (probably pretty close to maximum weight for the car) and I still managed to get 44MPG at 80MPH. I'm thinking to some extent that it worked like a box-cavity. I was surprised at the mileage mainly due to the fact that the car was very much squatting in the back. Point being, putting stuff in the wake of the car will minimize (to some extent at least) the drag it induces, and in some cases can reduce drag overall.

I definitely wouldn't drop that much just to get access to the rear. I feel I would just strategically load stuff to minimize my need to access the rear when the hitch rack was on. You could probably figure out a way to have to rack fold down once the bikes are off to allow access. A little design work and welding could likely take care of that issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joenavy85 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-14-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread