Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Manual gear selection on electronic controlled auto trans

I have been looking into doing this for a while, but there is a lack of info of what I can dig up. The basics are that my auto transmission is controlled by electronics instead of the older style based purely on fluid flow/pressure etc. This would also include a lockup override to allow the lockup feature of the trans in any gear at a flip of a switch (auto off if brakes hit though, safty first).

I have no problems wiring up something, but I would like a little input from those with more knowlege in this area, or even from experence.

My plans are pretty simple

OD switch on shift lever rewired for lockup enable/disable, and I want to wire it in so the brake switch will disable it by default for safty. For ease of driving, I'm thinking about a switch on the floor to press with my left foot to disable the lockup for gear changes similar to how a normal clutch would work in a manual car.

For the gear selector, I have read a post about a year ago where someone used a 6 way selector switch. They had a 4x4 truck and their reasons for the mod was offroad based and to 100% control the gears with out the ecu effecting it. Their choice was something like this:

1: Auto/factory ecu
2: 1st gear
3: 2nd gear
4: 3rd gear
5: OD (4th gear)
6: Auto/factory ecu

I also recall them having a check engine light problem which was solved by adding a resister to imitate the solenoid loads to the ECU

I am thinking the most fuel efficent shift pattern would be something like:

1st lockup disabled
enable lockup
2nd gear (disable lockup to shift, then reenable)
3rd (disable lockup to shift, then reenable)
OD (4th) (disable lockup to shift, then reenable)

I would think the gear ratios should allow this as long as I'm not forcing lockup under heavy load, similar to a manual clutch again (excess slipping/over reving when shifting)

My motive for this project is between using lockup in lower gears for better FE, the challange, and the fact my car refuses to shift into OD and lockup till it has warmed up (130F coolant temps). I would probably stay in 3rd + lockup till it is warmed up, since I assume this is to get the cat warmed up.

Another note, it appears my car is setup to pass CA's emissions, I recall my scanner saying something about it. Need to check the sticker under the hood to verify, but this might expline the no overdrive while cold thing too (I hate it!)

Just for reference, how to tell 50 state/CA vs 49 state cars apart
Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread