Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
CCTV / Little black box project

On my last out of state trip, I got bored (17 hour drive) and realized I had my camera in the glove box, so I set it on the dash and hit record. A whole lot of nothing, honestly.

BUT.

I did record me passing two squad cars and another car in the ditch, followed by me being pulled over and issued a 500$ ticket. I'm working on fighting the charges as I have GPS logged and footage for the case showing I was doing 5 mph under in the slow lane and did not have a clear opening to get over (move over law is what I was cited for) but I did decide a CCTV system could really save my ass in the future, and its what I'm going to build next.

I'm shooting for a 4 camera system, one on the front, one on the back, one for the cabin, and one on the GPS showing speed and location. I have no need to actually see the footage while in the car, so a simple DVR type device will do. I'm looking into 12 volt ones now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry man, but it looks pretty clear that if you can't get over then you can only go 15mph on a non-divided highway or 25mph on a divided one.

From the West Virginia traffic code:

§17C-14-9a. Approaching authorized emergency vehicles; penalties.
(a) The driver of any vehicle approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, blue, or red and blue lights or amber or yellow warning lights, shall:
(1) Proceed with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four lanes with not less than two lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle and reduce speed to a safe level for road conditions; or
(2) Proceed with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed not to exceed fifteen miles per hour on any nondivided highway or street and twenty-five miles per hour on any divided highway depending on road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
(b) (l) Any person who violates any subsection of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or confined in the county or regional jail not more than sixty days, or both fined and imprisoned.
(2) If violation of this section results in property damage in addition to any other penalty imposed, driving privileges of the persons causing the property damage shall be suspended for ninety days.
(3) If violation of this section results in injury to another person in addition to any other penalty imposed, the driving privileges of the person causing the injury shall be suspended for six months.
(4) If violation of this section results in the death of another person in addition to any other penalty imposed, the driving privileges of the person causing the death shall be suspended for two years.
(5) Any person who violates any provision of this section and while doing so also violates section two, article five of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall, in addition to the penalties set out in section two of said article and this section, be fined not less than one thousand dollars nor more than five thousand dollars, or confined in the county or regional jail for a period not more than six months, or both fined and imprisoned.

Good luck though.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
A madman

Was Georgia law 40-6-16, there was a full unused emergency lane with the 3 cars in the ditch, one of the cop cars had 1 tire on pavement and the other had 2 tires on the pavement but still less than 1/3rd of it was actually in the lane.

The ticket lists medium traffic but I'd call it heavy, but I'm from the country so what would I know? It was much safer to stay in the lane I was in and proceed slowly versus changing lanes and cutting off other traffic. Which the law states I'm allowed to do. I slowed down as I passed, released the gas and hovered over the break pedal. After I passed him I sped back up.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well then it looks like you may have a shot:

40-6-16.
(a) The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying flashing yellow, amber, white, red, or blue lights shall approach the authorized emergency vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed as follows:
(1) Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or (2) If a lane change under paragraph (1) of this subsection would be impossible, prohibited by law, or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop. (b) The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary towing or recovery vehicle or a stationary highway maintenance vehicle that is displaying flashing yellow, amber, or red lights shall approach the vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed as follows:
(1) Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the towing, recovery, or highway maintenance vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or
(2) If a lane change under paragraph (1) of this subsection would be impossible, prohibited by law, or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.
(c) Violation of subsection (a) or (b) of this Code section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500.00.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
A madman

Yeah, I was doing 5 under in the slow lane to begin with. My average speed for the entire tank at that point (non stop interstate driving) was 58 mph. It was a 70 zone for the most part.

I've also got 3 lawyers on my side currently, so I'm fairly confident I'll be in the clear. With the cost I'd otherwise spend paying this fine it will more than pay for a CCTV system AND could save me in any future accusations.

Last edited by brucey; 11-20-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I saw a video clip some kid had made of getting roughed up and abused by a cop. He set up the camera in his car after a previous similar incident. Got good video and nailed that cop hard. Smart.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
A madman

Ticket is not 500$ as I originally thought, its 750$ because the court fees are not waived even if I plead guilty and pay through the phone. Yeah, I'm fighting this one. And installing a CCTV sooner rather than later.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I've been looking at this.

10.2" Rearview monitor + 3 in 1 splitter + Camera

If you have 3 outside cams plugged into this then a camcorder aimed at this inside the cabin with a wide angle you get all 4 with the audio of inside.

Reply  Post New Thread