Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Isn't it funny when one strikes up a convo about fuel economy?

I trot out "vortex generator" and their eyes glaze over. Try to work in "Von Karmann vortex street" and then they just think you're pretentious.

F'em, I am going to have fun trying to make my car aerodynamically efficient.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
Isn't it funny when one strikes up a convo about fuel economy?

I trot out "vortex generator" and their eyes glaze over. Try to work in "Von Karmann vortex street" and then they just think you're pretentious.

F'em, I am going to have fun trying to make my car aerodynamically efficient.
F'em indeed It's most annoying when you've got great FE with awesome aero - and you're called a liar.... Joke's on them I guess
Old 05-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Thanks trebuchet03, looks like my texts are very dated now,They mentioned the Navier-Stokes equations,said they were so complicated,they essentially didn't "want to go there." Since LostCause said that "next we'll be deriving Navier-----------" I didn't think to look at them,and didn't know I WAS looking at them.The spherical coordinate system is not included in what I have in my aeroelasticity text for what they have on Naviers.In time I would like to look at all that.When I was in school,one of the professors who taught FORTRAN was involved with CFD.It would have been interesting to have had the time to hang around all that.Many of the college teams that participated in the last North American Solar Challenge used CFD to develop their cars and used the technology with high confidence.It's all over my head but in time maybe I can do a little catching up.Thanks for the wake up call,Phil.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The moving imagery is fantastic! What a great teaching tool this internet is! And whether two-dimensional or three-dimensional,most viewers will get a good sense of what is happening behind them as they drive.Thanks for your lengthy,beefy,posts.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Thanks trebuchet03, looks like my texts are very dated now,They mentioned the Navier-Stokes equations,said they were so complicated,they essentially didn't "want to go there."
Even new textbooks are the same way... Probably because derivation of those equations is left to graduate work That's why we let computers handle it Let them make huge matrices and solve 'em... Then, later, we can test empirically... Frankly, I wouldn't know how to begin to solve Navier-Stokes equations for something like a car If you asked me to apply a load - well, I do know how to do some basic verification FEA by hand.... But CFD - forgetaboutit
Old 05-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is crazy! There's a guy here at the copy center who stands for his PhD in mathematics in a few days.He looked at the Navier equations and talked about how they are not a complete solution,that sometimes they don't work,always have to be verified,and as someone in the group mentioned,there is a $ million-dollar prize for anyone who can come up with an anaylitical tool for solution.Calculus is in the air! Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

pictures are broken

Reply  Post New Thread