Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 196
Thanks: 4
Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Air up the tires to highest allowed on the sidewalls. Drive it slow and gentle like a grandma. Find a job where you commute 50 miles each way, and can drive 40 mph without stopping or slowing down.

OK, the last one is a joke.

But the first two are not. Drive slow and gently, plenty of air in the tires. With the auto trans, it is unlikely that will double the fuel economy without doing major surgery. Even then, doubtful.

Good luck though. Every little bit helps.

troy

__________________
2004 VW TDI PD on bio

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 193

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Air up the tires to highest allowed on the sidewalls. Drive it slow and gentle like a grandma. Find a job where you commute 50 miles each way, and can drive 40 mph without stopping or slowing down.

OK, the last one is a joke.

But the first two are not. Drive slow and gently, plenty of air in the tires. With the auto trans, it is unlikely that will double the fuel economy without doing major surgery. Even then, doubtful.

Good luck though. Every little bit helps.

troy
Weight reduction, in the car, also helps get back those MPG's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally dudes. When I finish the tank I'll out up my MPG estimation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and thanks by the way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lancaster Ca
Posts: 362

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Thanks: 52
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
haha, will do man, I'll hopefully start work tomorrow.
Sweeet can't wait to hear what you do to it

Good luck with it by the way
__________________


Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang... I took out my Benz today and it only got me.... 20 MILES PER GALLON!
This is upsetting, though I was stuck in horrible traffic.
Hmmm... Fuel Economy says with current gas prices it'll cost me at least $3.36 just to drive the 25+ miles to my school. Again this sucks!
I would seriously appreciate some more advice on things to do to the engine to increase efficiency because I don't think I will be ale to afford driving it much longer!
I don't think I'm very interested in taking apart my exhaust system Domman because that would mean more air-pollutants, no?
I'm going to consider buying a scan gauge, deleting the front emblem and getting a flatter grille for aerodynamics and looks, and I'll see how that goes, though I'll have to ask my mother first!
Thanks everyone
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lancaster Ca
Posts: 362

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Thanks: 52
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Dang... I took out my Benz today and it only got me.... 20 MILES PER GALLON!
This is upsetting, though I was stuck in horrible traffic.
Hmmm... Fuel Economy says with current gas prices it'll cost me at least $3.36 just to drive the 25+ miles to my school. Again this sucks!
I would seriously appreciate some more advice on things to do to the engine to increase efficiency because I don't think I will be ale to afford driving it much longer!
I don't think I'm very interested in taking apart my exhaust system Domman because that would mean more air-pollutants, no?
I'm going to consider buying a scan gauge, deleting the front emblem and getting a flatter grille for aerodynamics and looks, and I'll see how that goes, though I'll have to ask my mother first!
Thanks everyone
No actually, If you delete the secondary cat .. Yes that will increase air pollution a bit however the resonator and muffler have nothing to do with your smog. you can run straight pipes all the way back from the cats (hypothetically speaking) and it'll still be as clean as through regular mufflers. your cats do make the car cleaner however so if you're concerned about polluthion then don't delete the secondaries
__________________


Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
huh... thanks man, that's interesting. I'll check that out.
Maybe I'll add some golf-ball like indents on my car to reduce drag and improve efficiency. Just saw it on myth busters and it improved the efficeincy on a Taurus by 11%! hahaha
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lancaster Ca
Posts: 362

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Thanks: 52
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
huh... thanks man, that's interesting. I'll check that out.
Maybe I'll add some golf-ball like indents on my car to reduce drag and improve efficiency. Just saw it on myth busters and it improved the efficeincy on a Taurus by 11%! hahaha
haha i love that episode .. you could always try washing and waxing it too according to them
__________________


Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 658 Times in 474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domman56 View Post
No actually, If you delete the secondary cat .. Yes that will increase air pollution a bit however the resonator and muffler have nothing to do with your smog. you can run straight pipes all the way back from the cats (hypothetically speaking) and it'll still be as clean as through regular mufflers. your cats do make the car cleaner however so if you're concerned about polluthion then don't delete the secondaries
PLEASE!!!!
don't make recommendations that have ABSOLUTELY no validation or proof behind them.
Straight pipes!!!!! no!!!!!!
this isn't some pos American under engineered car. There is a symmetry and balance to top end cars. THese manufacturers (MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi) don't just throw the lowest common part on and say '''ok, that kinda works". FACT: on both the INFINITI Q45/M45 forums NOONE has successfully used a CAI or K&N filter. Why? because some much engineering went into the V4K.5L and the two cars. FACT: while several have added aftermarket exhaust (cat back) NONE have claimed better performance in HP or MPG only that they like the new sound or like the new look.
FACT: the VK4.5L (in 2002) made 340 hp. that is a 272 cubic inch V8
compare: Chevy corvette 5.7 L (2004) made 350 hp that is 350 c.i.
Ford Mustang 4.6l (2002) made 252 hp that is 280 cubic inches.
I realize this is a public forum and you are entitled to your opinion BUT you are not entitled to make flippant and random recommendations

Please re-read the post that Christ made to you concerning the difference between FACTS and random unsubstantiated claims. AND UNTIL YOU RUN AN A-B-A TEST on your own personal mods DO NOT RECCOMEND THEM.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
cool, ecomod, mercedes-bens, mpg, station-wagon

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testing the IAT mod tasdrouille General Efficiency Discussion 6 09-27-2009 04:09 PM
Netbooks ecomodding my computing experience blueflame Off-Topic Tech 8 04-24-2009 06:41 PM
Small Ford Inline 6 distributor Eco mod Stormin' Norman DIY / How-to 0 02-14-2008 12:52 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com