Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Peugeot 206 1.9D - '98 Peugeot 206 L
90 day: 44.91 mpg (US)
Metric/imperial units on scanguage

I don’t know if anyone can help with this, I would like to fit something similar to Scangauge to my car but I’m having problems. I live in Scotland where we are metric for all units of measurement except speed and fuel consumption which are measured in miles per hour and miles per (UK) gallon respectfully, despite fuel being sold in litres(!).

I’ve watched a few youtube videos of people setting up scangauges/turbogauges and it seems that you can only select either ‘English’ or ‘metric’ as an overall selection for units. I’ve also seen nice displays such as this one: OBD II Car Multi-Function Information Display OBD General Trip Computer Y01 | eBay

But it is all metric.

What I need is the following in imperial:

Speed: miles per hour
Fuel consumption miles per (UK) gallon

Everything else such as coolant temperature, intake temperature in metric

I’ve played around with the Torque app on my phone and I know you can do this sort of thing with regards to unit selection on it, but I’m really after something I can just install rather than having to turn a phone on and start an application every time I turn the ignition on

Could anyone suggest anything suitable?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gazers Car - '09 Nissan Pixo N-TEC
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)
Its quite easy to change the units on a Scangauge , i will either have to look for the instruction manual or go through the settings on my unit tomorrow. What i do find annoying and haven’t figured a way around this is the speed is set to MPH and the fill-up unit is in gallons, but sooner this was in litres to match the petrol pump.
I have re-read your post and realise you have yet to purchase a unit. The ebay unit looks cool but I think I still prefer my Scangauge, although a little pricy it does allow you to reset the MIL light and read fault codes in real time.

Last edited by herbivor; 12-09-2015 at 04:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to herbivor For This Useful Post:
rainagain (12-14-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gazers Car - '09 Nissan Pixo N-TEC
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)
for whats it worth, found a "2015 Universal Professional Car Multi-function Information Display OBD General Trip Computer Supports All Cars with OBDII"
for £34.26 with free postage from Aliexpress.com
The Following User Says Thank You to herbivor For This Useful Post:
rainagain (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivor View Post
for whats it worth, found a "2015 Universal Professional Car Multi-function Information Display OBD General Trip Computer Supports All Cars with OBDII"
for £34.26 with free postage from Aliexpress.com
Thanks for that, that's a wee bit cheaper.

I just wish the UK would just go fully metric!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just to give an update I bought this from aliexpress:

Auto Trip Computer Car Multi function Information Display Diagnostic Tool with OBDII Clear Car Fault Code Show All Informations-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It works really well, you can adjust the speed calibration factor so the speed and distance are in mph, although the displays still says kph. The mount it came with was rubbish and broke the first time I tried to use it. I've used an old phone mount which works well. It can display a ton of information, lambda voltage, current operation mode open/closed, intake temperature, coolant temperature, ignition advance, fuel trim and a load more.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry just realised the link I gave above is no longer in stock, I tried to edit it but it wouldn't allow me, here's a link to one in stock:

2016 OBD Scan Tool General Car Multi Function Trip Computer Diagnostic Tool Free Shipping-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 02-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SmurFITte - '13 Honda Fit LX
90 day: 38.01 mpg (US)
I don't think you could have accomplished what you wanted with a ScanGuage II. From what I've noticed it can either do Metric only, or Imperial (US) only. I don't even think the ScanGuage II can do UK Imperial units.

Wouldn't it be just better if the entire world would just switch to the metric system already. It's obviously a better unit system from every point of view.

Canada has adopted "Metrication" in 1970 accordingly to Wiki. But 45 years later we're still in a mess
* travel distances are in km
* speed is km/h
* volume of gas is in L
* but when people talk about their height it's in ft. & in. and their weight is in pounds (lbs).
* groceries are usually labelled in $ / lbs.
* at the bar, drinks are served in pints for beer & oz. for wine & liquor.
* I work in the construction field (cost estimating) and I see both units beings used all the time, even sometimes on the same project.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 02-18-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I was in grade school in the 1950s it was said that the US would be metric by the time I was a working adult.

What a shame it is that the political leaders failed that promise.

Reply  Post New Thread