Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Let's do the Gyroid again

I'd had prior exposure to Peter Pearce's Structure In Nature..., so when I run the 3D slicer software and saw a gyroid fill, I immediately understood that it subdivides a space into two equal, interpenetrated volumes.
Quote:
https://www.goodreads.com › book › show › 2705216-structure-in-nature-is-a-strategy-for-design
Structure in Nature Is a Strategy for Design by Peter Pearce - Goodreads
the structural designs that occur in nature--in molecules, in crystals, in living cells, in galaxies--is the proper source of inspiration, peter pearce affirms, for the design of man-made structures.nature at all levels builds responsive and adaptive strategies that conserve material and energy resources through the use of modular components …
I'd picture a rectilinear box with inlets and outlets in the corners, but as it occurs, the optimal shape is a spindle/football shape.

Lattices on the outside, and on the inside as a permanent support structure for terminating the gyroid. Half the weight and four times the performance of the hand-crafted part.

This would look awesome on the firewall of a 1932 Ford highboy roadster, would it not? An oil cooler that pre-heats the fuel?

edit: Haven't watched this one yet, but appears on-topic"

2nd edit: his is a geuine rabbit hole. 3D Printed Cold Plate Heat Exchanger for an Electric Race Car | The Cool Parts Show #51

Last edited by freebeard; 10-23-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One of the advantages of the gyroid fill is less pressure drop across a heat exchanger. What might that mean to an Ecomodderer?

Unpressurized ICE engine radiators are limited to 212 degrees F., IDK about pressurized systems. The lower pressure drop on the air side would reduce the overall drag of the vehicle. The lower pressure drop on the water side would reduce the load on the engine.

The FDM materials of choice would be Polycarbonate or ABS. Parts can be autoclaved, up to 260 degrees or thereabouts.

Limited print bed size suggests twin radiators, like Porsche uses.

Old 12-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[reply to deleted bot post]

The examples are Aluminum 357, at ?t=1682 they discuss other alloys, including Inconel 718.

Last edited by freebeard; 12-17-2022 at 02:45 PM..
Old 12-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Depending on additive, coolant can get above 220 unpressurized, perhaps 240/ 265 with a 50/50 glycol mix according to the container of synthetic glycol I have. The 212 would only be an issue above a couple thousand ft above sea level. Beer boils at my house right around 203.4 degrees even with malt sugar levels being really high. Wasn't important enough to measure the boiling point of tap water because pretty much anything beer harmful is dead above 160.

Having said that, the heat transfer with glycol is lower. Afaik, the only advantage to pressure is heat transfer improves allowing a smaller radiator