Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Madison AL
Posts: 1,123

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
"Torque is more fun that horsepower."
"HP is how fast you get to the wall, torque is how far you go through the wall"

Some good quotes.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoDriving at full speed
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 4

Red 7 - '97 Mazda 626 LX
90 day: 43.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
well remeber F=ma so to be able to accelerate faster you need to have more force on the road in the form of horsepower preferable at lower rpm wich means more torque (torque = HP/rpm) or simply less weight! also as far as the rated horsepower on cars thats not what it is during normal driveing conditions thats the engine full throttle at something like 5-6000 rpms somthing a hypermilers car would probably never see
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Madison AL
Posts: 1,123

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDstryr40k View Post
well remeber F=ma so to be able to accelerate faster you need to have more force on the road in the form of horsepower preferable at lower rpm wich means more torque (torque = HP/rpm) or simply less weight! also as far as the rated horsepower on cars thats not what it is during normal driveing conditions thats the engine full throttle at something like 5-6000 rpms somthing a hypermilers car would probably never see
Isn't HP the calculation? Torque is the measurement that is actually measured.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Bicycle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N. Saskatchewan, CA
Posts: 1,648

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Thanks: 82
Thanked 374 Times in 261 Posts
If you use the gears, HP matters, and torque does not, except as it gets into the power calculation. If you want to ignore the transmission, torque does matter. In an efficient car, you pass by planning where it might be possible, building up a useful approach speed, and then either pulling out or nailing the brakes. With careful deductions, this can be done on unfamiliar mountain roads at night, although you miss some opportunities that a local driver could use.

Of course, when driving for economy, passing is seldom an issue anyway. Anybody who thinks they need a low HP/weight ratio should spend some time herding a heavy truck, and contemplating that real cowboys only use 1HP (organic) to haul their manhood around. A few reasonable limitations keep life interesting for us as well as possible for others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Madison AL
Posts: 1,123

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
If you use the gears, HP matters, and torque does not, except as it gets into the power calculation. If you want to ignore the transmission, torque does matter. In an efficient car, you pass by planning where it might be possible, building up a useful approach speed, and then either pulling out or nailing the brakes. With careful deductions, this can be done on unfamiliar mountain roads at night, although you miss some opportunities that a local driver could use.
uh...okay

Last edited by MadisonMPG; 08-23-2009 at 08:48 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: maine
Posts: 758

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
"Torque is more fun that horsepower."
"HP is how fast you get to the wall, torque is how far you go through the wall"

Some good quotes.


I am at 90hp, but its a 3 main boxer. I spent my time hindering it more than anything. subaru did one heck of a job keeping it tiny, and dangerously so. I had to go about a healthier way. the tighter that carb gets the closer to 136 foot pounds it is. That is the way it is...scream a whistle or bellow like an old holley..actions either modes.
I have let it out, and it is fun. Keyword: fun. time to put the boxer back in a cage and grow up a little. I hardly pass anything, its gearing is now outrageous, 3500==88mph. Torque is the answer, it starts with the least friction. If you are obsessed with power to weight, it is the engine you are obsessed with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoDriving at full speed
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 4

Red 7 - '97 Mazda 626 LX
90 day: 43.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
Isn't HP the calculation? Torque is the measurement that is actually measured.
horse power by definition is 550 ft lb / sec witch translates into 550 lbs moved (vertically) 1 ft in 1 sec. this is a steady pace for 1 horse so at full gallop a horse produces well more than 1 HP.

Torque from your engie is translated to the wheels concerned with dirveing wich produces a force (lb) so the torque is what drives your car and at top speed your force (torque over a distance is a force) on the ground from your tires is in equlibrium with air and every other form of friction holding you back

Now this is where HP comes in imagine a small fan with foam fins there moveing faster then your wheels right(angular speed... rpm)? well if you touch the blades it stops right? cause theres no torque (also no mass moment of inertia but thats another story) behind it. horse power allows you to put torque behind something spinning fast because HP is a measurment of a force over a distance in a given amount of time. and something spinning fast covers alot of distance in a short amount of time so you need alot of horsepower to produce alot of force

torque = HP/rpm so the same HP rating can produce high torque at low rpms (why lower gears ar "peppy") or high speed at low rpm (why it takes your car so long to reach 100mph) thats why high HP cars can put more torque (force) at the same speed F=ma and accelerate faster

sorry its a bit winded but im an engineer i live and breath this stuff

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much HP @ highway speed kane66 General Efficiency Discussion 7 02-03-2017 04:53 AM
Skilled driving & power drifting with 1 hp botsapper The Lounge 0 06-18-2009 04:10 PM
Got a 10 hp diesel engine, what now? Vwbeamer Off-Topic Tech 11 04-22-2009 04:44 AM
Me and curvy plastic shovel vs 8.5 HP Ariens Who Saving@Home 4 03-26-2008 09:09 AM
Graph: MPG vs. HP over time in the US passenger fleet MetroMPG General Efficiency Discussion 16 03-05-2008 01:13 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com