EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Mistfit Talon, a little bit bent but not broken (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mistfit-talon-little-bit-bent-but-not-broken-28518.html)

pgfpro 03-23-2014 01:32 AM

Mistfit Talon, a little bit bent but not broken

Just a update on my Mis-fit Talon.

I had Daox remove all my post due to some legality's on the Talon to meet the Federal Emission requirements?

I'm working with our local Idaho State University and the EPA, and Federal emissions, to try to make my Talon exempt for lean burn testing purpose only. I have explained that this is only for experiment reasons and not for resale of any product.

So far its been explained to me that as long as I don't' drive it on Federal roads, the State will have the final say as long as the vehicle passes State Emissions and Federal Safety Rules.

At this point and time I can run the factory Federal eprom chip legally and use my lean burn chip on non-Federal roads for testing.

So now I'm working on mapping out a "factory OEM delayed OL load factor threshold", "Immediate OL load factor threshold", and "open loop throttle factory threshold". In other words stock eprom map.

After all this, it's not looking good.:( I will most likely have to kill my project and go on to something else.

So my future options will be a VX Honda or a three wheel auto where the sky's the limit.

brucepick 03-23-2014 09:53 AM

Sorry you came up agains those roadblocks. Kudos for attempting it!

3-wheel: Elio! I've reserved one.
Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle

Their blog, with excellent info updates:
www.eliomotors.wordpress.com

cbaber 03-23-2014 10:27 AM

And how is it that the big bad EPA or any agency from the federal government knows what your car is running? I may have missed the story in your previous posts.

pgfpro 03-23-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 416586)
Sorry you came up agains those roadblocks. Kudos for attempting it!

3-wheel: Elio! I've reserved one.
Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle

Their blog, with excellent info updates:
Elio Motors | The next big thing in transportation, the blog edition!

Thanks

I'm going to reserve one today!!!

pgfpro 03-23-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaber (Post 416590)
And how is it that the big bad EPA or any agency from the federal government knows what your car is running? I may have missed the story in your previous posts.

So far they don't know? But I was planing on doing some Press Interviews so they would know then for sure.:(

I was told from a forum member that my Talon is illegal because it never was a "Lean Burn " vehicle from the factory? He was right even though it passed our State local emissions?

So my plans are to keep moving forward and to continue doing lean burn testing on "off road" non-Federal roads and switch back to my Federal ecu for public roads. It only takes about 30 seconds to switch the ecu back and forth;)

brucepick 03-23-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 416595)
Thanks

I'm going to reserve one today!!!

Cool! Welcome to the Elio world!

Refundable reservations in increments $100-$1000 go into an escrow account.
NON-refundable reservations get you a 50% increase in the value of your deposit at purchase time. I went with non-refundable but in a mount I can afford to lose, if it comes to that.

pgfpro 03-23-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 416605)
Cool! Welcome to the Elio world!

Refundable reservations in increments $100-$1000 go into an escrow account.
NON-refundable reservations get you a 50% increase in the value of your deposit at purchase time. I went with non-refundable but in a mount I can afford to lose, if it comes to that.

I'm going non-refundable also.;)

Trying to decide on transmission? What are you going with?

At 84 MPG factory I don't see why one of use should be able to pull over 100 MPG?:thumbup:

brucepick 03-23-2014 04:08 PM

Standard trans for me, absolutely. Much more opportunity for fuel savings using pulse & glide or EOC.

But you don't decide the trans till some later time.

On Facebook, you can join the Elio Motors Owners Association. A search will find it. Some good discussion there. You'll need to send a screen shot of a deposit confirmation to one of the moderators there, to join.

There's also an official Elio Motors FB page but it gets the same noob questions ad nauseum.

user removed 03-23-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 416597)
So far they don't know? But I was planing on doing some Press Interviews so they would know then for sure.:(

I was told from a forum member that my Talon is illegal because it never was a "Lean Burn " vehicle from the factory? He was right even though it passed our State local emissions?

So my plans are to keep moving forward and to continue doing lean burn testing on "off road" non-Federal roads and switch back to my Federal ecu for public roads. It only takes about 30 seconds to switch the ecu back and forth;)

You got some $%^& good free legal advice. Glad to hear you actually listened and saved YOURSELF a lot of heartache. Maybe you should think a little before running off at the mouth about ridge removal in another post and insinuating that someone who gave you about $500 in free legal advice knows more than you wish to ASSume.

I've spent a lifetime dealing with people, from curbside pharmacists to 4 star generals. I don't question your abilities and I would like the same respect in return.

If you don't like the laws and regulations then go to the source and have them changed, as I have done when threatened (not by you). Attacking my integrity and knowledge will not change anything.

I recommend a forum truce between us. Strong personalities tend to have their own ways and methods based on a lifetime of experience.

60k hours of experience here and never a summons to appear in court and answer for my actions, regardless of justification. Ignorance of the laws is no excuse, and when a judge tells you that you are in serious trouble.

Mech

RustyLugNut 03-23-2014 11:21 PM

How about moving the drivetrain into another vehicle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 416555)
Just a update on my Mis-fit Talon.

I had Daox remove all my post due to some legality's on the Talon to meet the Federal Emission requirements?

I'm working with our local Idaho State University and the EPA, and Federal emissions, to try to make my Talon exempt for lean burn testing purpose only. I have explained that this is only for experiment reasons and not for resale of any product.

So far its been explained to me that as long as I don't' drive it on Federal roads, the State will have the final say as long as the vehicle passes State Emissions and Federal Safety Rules.

At this point and time I can run the factory Federal eprom chip legally and use my lean burn chip on non-Federal roads for testing.

So now I'm working on mapping out a "factory OEM delayed OL load factor threshold", "Immediate OL load factor threshold", and "open loop throttle factory threshold". In other words stock eprom map.

After all this, it's not looking good.:( I will most likely have to kill my project and go on to something else.

So my future options will be a VX Honda or a three wheel auto where the sky\'s the limit.

Anything older than 1975 is exempt from emissions in practically all areas.

Also, the ability to switch between a legal and a non legal setup should allow you to test in non Federal jurisdictions and continue to use the vehicle on Federal roads as you implied.

As you move along in your research, you may require a research exemption. But, that is usually for a period of time. You cannot drive your vehicle indefinitely on such an exemption.