Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can't help at all with the hydrogen part, but I have a few comments for the electric assist part.
First, you need a clutch between the front prop shaft and electric motor so that the wheels will not be slowed when the electric assist is inactive.
Second, you need to synchronize the speed between the axles when electric assist is active, i.e., be sure the electric motor RPM range and front axle ratio end up covering the full range of vehicle speed attainable with gas engine power.
Finally, if you go through all this trouble, you *might* want to use an electric motor that can also function as a generator. Regenerative braking will recoup some braking energy. You will need more than just the regular "car" battery to power electric motor assist, and that extra battery needs to be recharged somehow. Just a thought... hope my $0.02 helps you.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big Blue Caravan - '12 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 21.72 mpg (US)
40 years ago I started at a trade school 20 miles from home. I needed to save money where ever I could. I was driving a 1969 Half Ton Ford with the 302 and 3 on the tree Manual, 3.25 gears.

I was getting 16mpg(imp) out of it. Like yours, the bed was rusty. I ripped it off and built a spruce flatbed. I installed long tube headers and high flow mufflers and a taller paper element in the air cleaner. I pulled the heads and planed them (I was studying machinist) for 9.5:1 compression. Recurved the ignition and used my daily trips to experiment with jetting on the stock 2bbl.

I ran a 2 blade fan with large pulley clutch drive and a shroud to reduce cooling losses. No problems with overheating here, cool weather and country driving.

Also changed my driving style, didn't know about pulse and glide, used a coast down hills and barely make it up style. Keeping in high gear with speed down was a big savings too. I also ran tall but skinny radial tires instead of the fat bias meats so popular back then. End result was 24mpg(imp) over the week consistently.

For winter I had to go back to smaller filter and supply intake heat. I kept it year 'round after that.

Last edited by sbestca; 09-06-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Old 09-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I have a few comments for the electric assist part.
First, ...
Second, ....
Finally, ...
A belt-driven altermotor sidesteps the first two points and enables the third.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Alternative Fuels Addict

Enator, you wrote "I also removed the pollution controls and used an O2 sensor and gauge to tune the carburetor." Please share more about tuning this way. I think I know where you're going but want to know the practical tips. What about in conjunction with a vacuum gauge?

Reply  Post New Thread