Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
So what you are saying is better air flow with a bell mouth will increase milage because more air is sneaking past unmetered? Also I'd like to note, I know alot of the N/A Honda racer dudes are big on the helmshold chamber or "whale penis" intake because of how effecieantly it pressureises the air and forces it In or something like that. But if we are talking about intake flow then wouldn't exhaust flow help as well? Because right now the way I'm doing it is. An this is what I've understood through other things I've read on here. That with fuel injected cars it doesn't matter how much flow you have because we are hardly sucking any air in to begin with and if we can slow down the flow than we can slow down the need for the Ecu to make its mixture more thursty. I'm not sure I'd really like the truth here. I know for a fact that bigger intakes and having a clean filter for that matter, increase power and throttle response but i have no idea on the truth of them increasing milage.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
So what you are saying is better air flow with a bell mouth will increase milage because more air is sneaking past unmetered? Also I'd like to note, I know alot of the N/A Honda racer dudes are big on the helmshold chamber or "whale penis" intake because of how effecieantly it pressureises the air and forces it In or something like that. But if we are talking about intake flow then wouldn't exhaust flow help as well? Because right now the way I'm doing it is. An this is what I've understood through other things I've read on here. That with fuel injected cars it doesn't matter how much flow you have because we are hardly sucking any air in to begin with and if we can slow down the flow than we can slow down the need for the Ecu to make its mixture more thursty. I'm not sure I'd really like the truth here. I know for a fact that bigger intakes and having a clean filter for that matter, increase power and throttle response but i have no idea on the truth of them increasing milage.
Glad you were able to find something to work for you and test on the cheap!

Regarding Helmholtz Intake Chamber sytems, are usually required, to smooth out a given engines power-band when the standard (airbox>inlet pipe>MAF) does not satisfy the engine for the engine's required level of performance is to be by the engineers.. Not "pressurizing" the air so to speak, but to keep a consistant Volume of air availiable for the engine at most RPM rates.

When you change from stock to an aftermarket CAI for use as a WAI, you elliminate some pumping losses which gives you greater intake volume efficiency. Every stroke of a piston, sucks in an X amount of air based on the displacement of that cylinder. The only difference is that the length x diameter, giving you a specific tuning characteristics (I.E: Higher Torque at low RPM, and higher Peak HP at higher RPM) You elliminate the "sucking through a straw" characteristic(which would give you a "flat" responce compared. This also goes for exhaust systems as if you were "Blowing through a straw".

Now the Holmholtz exhaust is a different case, this is to produce a certain amount of back pressure, and to tune the exhuast(resonance chamber). Basing its "tuning" on length x diameter=volume variable for your frequency output.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Some stock air-boxes already have bell-mouths in them...like my Corolla...just saying.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
Some stock air-boxes already have bell-mouths in them...like my Corolla...just saying.
Newer cars will be harder to modify for better mpg? Car companies now have developed a lot of those things that "if it worked the car companies would already being doing it".

My 03 Focus still had restricted flow even with the front nozzle removed and the resonator removed...aside from the straight edged pipe.

Cars below are capable of over 47 mpg on the highway.....

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic HX2 - '97 Honda Civic HX
Okay, well I installed the cheap Japanese short ram intake and really didn't like that it was pointing at the radiator so I modified mine a little bit with a hacksaw.

i.imgur.com/8pZy1.jpg
i.imgur.com/jwIdk.jpg

I've gone through two tanks of gas with it installed and I have seen absolutely ZERO increase in MPG.

The next modification I'm going to make is I'm going to use some PVC piping and bring cold air up from the ground and have it forced into the end of the intake effectively making it a CAI.

The crappy part about this is this all isn't smog legal so it'll have to come off in January when I have to go get the car smogged. :/

Reply  Post New Thread