Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Modified M/C riding style yeilds 26% gain.

Hi, I'm copying this over from my introduction thread as this part seems to fit here.

My motorcycle, an '04 Honda VTX 1300 has delivered 42-44 MPG on every tank since I've had it. It's mainly used as a commuter with errands and very little (not enough....) cruising. After picking up some ideas here I slowed down to 60 mph max and less agressive acceleration with some engine on coasting. The result was a jump to 53 MPG! a 20% increase, very encouraging! Then I worked some engine off coasting and stoplight waiting into my comute resulting in an increase to 55.73 MPG (most recent tank) a 26% gain over historical average! My commute is a 44 mile round trip and I'm sure with some more fine tuning of my riding style I can see 57 MPG. Thats not too bad for a big, loud, heavy V-twin with a full figured dope in the saddle. Searching other M/C forums it seems I was getting above average mileage before changing riding style!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Nice results! I've had a similar experience since I started hypermiling. Now it just cracks me up when I have friends say they can't even get the EPA city rating.

Kudos.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
That`s groovy- a 26% gain is just plain awesome! Out of curiosity, how do you manage the coasting? Just kick it all the way down into N from whatever gear you happen to be in? I expect it`s only worth doing when you have a nice long downgrade in front of you. Or do you coast for shorter opportunities too?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

endurance and bdesj, Thanks, I think it's pretty awesome too! For the coasting portions of my commute I just pull and hold the clutch in, I do drop gears as my speed decreases to try and keep the speed in line with the proper gear if I were to need to restart for any reason. My commute is about 22 miles each way with the area by my home somewhat hilly (alternating to/from coasting opportunities!) heading into a mostly flat city area. Between the hill coasting and stoplight approaches I can have the engine off for over two miles of the commute. I still don't think I'm coasing as much as I could, maybe still missing some small chances and could go a little longer on the red light coasts. It's much easier to do in the morning (0500 HRS) than it is during the evening rush at 1800 HRS, huge difference in traffic volume. 15+ miles are on inter-state highways (I-95 & I-476).
Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
You hold the clutch in the whole time? Must be good hand exercise- after a few months of that, you`ll probably have one monster hand and one whimpy hand! I`ve heard that motorcycle clutches are an entirely different idea from car clutches- do they not have throw out bearings?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ha Ha, No giant hand yet but they aren't that wimpy to start with.
The longest coast I have in my normal commute is about 1 mile, I start it at about 55-60 and coast down to about 40, so it's not really that long to hold it in. Besides the clutch isn't all that hard considering the size of the bike.
You know I've been riding bikes for 40 years now and have never had one of the clutches apart, I have no idea how much different they are from automotive units......I've had the car ones apart way too many times!

Reply  Post New Thread