Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jetta - '98 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
90 day: 34.22 mpg (US)

Beetle - '66 Volkswagen Beetle
90 day: 23.16 mpg (US)
More acceleration issues.

I'm trying to sort out some information. I like the theory of high load, low-RPM acceleration, as it's less aggravating for people behind me and gets me to coasting speed faster. My last tank has been spent giving 50% throttle and shifting at 2500 RPM. I read on here that I should accelerate at 80-90% load, which is effectively flooring it. Two problems: I tried doing this and can only get 60-70% load, even flooring it and two, is that my car goes into open loop at around 55% throttle position. What do I do here? The obvious answer would be to accelerate at the highest throttle position without going into open loop, correct?

2.0L Jetta, manual, UltraGauge.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
the crazy guy in back

Cressy - '90 Toyota Cressida

Pickup - '91 Toyota Pickup base
Send a message via AIM to kamesama980
I'm not positive since I don't have a newer VW but I would say keep the accelerator down as far as it'll go without going into open loop. as for the load reading, are you looking at OBDII pids on a scangauge or the like? I'm not sure what other people look at, they may be talking about pedal position. I ask because the load PID is very sketchy, it's required by law to be there but for the first several years of OBDII there was no set formula to get it. I heard about some diesels that alternated 0 to 100 (and only those 2 values) based on pedal position.

At best and calculated the current way, it's down to two possibilities: calulated requested vs possible torque at a given rpm or essentially volumetric efficiency: airflow in VS possible airflow through the engine. the latter is what I would guess yours is since you're getting a lower max number and VE will be low in a stock vehicle, especially at lower rpm.

-2001 BMW R1200c
-1970 VW Beetle
-2015 Prius (for the wife)
"You don't get to blame me for how I fix what you broke."
Reply  Post New Thread