Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Salut from France

To qualify my "may be", if a driver would like to know which engine he or she has (a nonsense engine or something similar that happens to be true) it is possible to look up a graph of where it delivers fuel economy and under which load and why snappy acceleration with good throttle often is best (if the road is clear in front) to move on up to cruising speed. Julian Edgar on autospeed dot com does a good job too with his article Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (i.e. what an engine can do with the fuel after and including all friction - before you bolt it to something completely weird and un-aerodynamic). It's an intro.

In your Jaguar V12, 2200 rpm will do the job nicely and almost regal (nowhere near the peak torque). It'll take a while to get up to speed, yet the really successful rarely hurry.
In your weekend car, the Toyota Prius, there's electric assist to give you a similar sensation around your estate.

In your secretary's car, the Honda Insight (3 cylinder VTEC), he or she'll need to trust the CVT knows what it's doing in loading the engine best at 4000 rpm (which was W S's original question in the thread) and very close to maximum torque (Engine ECA1). If they insist on a manual gearshift, there are blinking lights to remind them to do likewise (presuming they know nothing about engines either).

If the youngest in the family asks for a manual Matiz, 3500 to 4000 is best in the short bursts and . . . . it's near maximum torque too. If he or she shares with lots of friends they'll be at the "relatively high load" and better off in the long run than anyone else.

When you've had enough of all that and me -

Off for the weekend Le Mans! Torque and fuel economy counts there; best drive well . . everyone else is paying for you. The rotary club has an engine that'll deliver minimum fuel consumption (for a given effect) at 6000 rpm and you get absolutely maximum torque too! Oh, the crowd are underwhelmed by the economy drive-by . . . . only half power, last and no medals for that. Least number of refills? Get off!!

So, I do - for the time being

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread