Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cheap View Post
I think today's electronic ignitions main reason for existing is because they can be matched to to those sensors for emissions purposes. The dual-vacuum canister on older ignitions was NOT to improve economy but to make idling engines run hotter...for emissions purposes.
I don't know it if was to decrease warm-up times for the catalyst, but when Volkswagen reintroduced the Beetle in Brazil from '93 to '96 it resorted to an electronic distributor, even though it was still carburettor-fed. IIRC the Kombi only got EFI for the '97 model, being the only Brazilian air-cooled Volkswagen to get rid of the carburettor.

Quote:
Way back in the mid 70's my 32 Ford coupe was tested by Baylor University with a modified 289 V8 Ford engine and NO smog devices except a PCV valve. It met emissions standards for 1978 in 1974. A well tuned engine with basic improvements (Hot Ignition 'yes points', Proper Timing, Mild Cam, Carb matched to engine size, Free Flowing Exhaust, Cool-Air intake) can make more horsepower and run cleaner than when factory new, with these upgrades.
It's interesting how some basic improvements to the engine, eventually also viable to retrofit into older engines once they become due to an overhaul, can be effective and not so much of a burden when it comes to cost.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread