Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
MPG jump

I had recently added a full grill block and was 2 tanks into evaluating a difference when I got the hankering to bump the tire pressures. I was running sidewall max (44psi) and decided to bump the fronts up to 48 while leaving the rears at 44. The effect was immediate and very clear. The coasting ability went through the roof and netted my first tank over 40 mpg. Just into my second tank (with higher pressures) I was seeing more in town driving so I bumped the pressures to 50 front and rear. The coasting seemed a slight bit better but not quite the same jump as the first time.

Even with a good deal more in town (which I 'think' I do better at anyway) I still saw 40+ mpg for the second tank in a row.

Don't know how much the grill block added but the intake temp IS hotter and the gph rate is lower when coasting or idling, so it is adding something.
I think the increased coasting has netted a jump as big, or possibly bigger than the block, but neither is coming off the car.

The increased coasting ability is noticeable at highway speeds where I am not only able to coast (maintain speed) but it gains speed, and in places it would not before. It will even maintain speed in places you would never expect.

In town at non-aero speeds, the difference is dramatic! It feels as though you are giving it the juice!

All I can say is thanks to eco-modder and all the members here who have shared what works through many hours of trials. This is so addictive it's unreal. Already trying to get together some materials for my next mod.....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread