Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
Personally, at the start of the year, I set a target to use no more than so many gallons of gas for the coming year. This year it is 300 gallons max with a stretch goal of less than 260 gallons. Improving my FE is just one way to achieve my goal.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
...I found myself just ahead of a large tornado coming my way. When I realized how close it was, I can assure you, MPG became the last of my concerns.
Look on the bright side, though: a 200 mph tailwind could do wonders for your mpg :-)
Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think we all like to set our own new best mpg records... it's bragging rights in the vein of like telling a neighbor your car can do 7's in the 1/4 mile.... but like has been mentioned; time we may want used elsewhere may preclude a long highway bypass. Example: I was on a trip, and on that day had already put 6hrs. or so in, and wanted to stretch my legs shooting some hoops at a certain location relative to no lighting after dark. If I stayed on the bypass, I lost 20 something minutes v/s dealing w 7 traffic lights in a slightly uphill situation. I wanted to play ball more! If time is not tight for you, and you enjoy a 3 digit interstate bypass cruise, not only is the mpg higher, but you probably didn't have to shift, or use your brakes at all. I'm referring now to general wear and tear on your mechanicals that are more on surface streets! I used to do courier work with my own vehicle; a PU going about 350 miles a day/5 days a week. It was like a race everyday, with a tight time frame. To make the veh. last; I'd carry a 2nd key and leave it parked mid-block running, while I literally also ran to businesses to pick up mail bags, and the like.. max 3 min, stop anywhere, always parking for the clearest getaway almost like a bank robber. This planning allowed me the extra time to go over mountains and hills slower than others would, so my wear and tear factor could be miminized for a longer veh. life...ditto for my parked w eng. on... I didn't want the starter/electrical system to let me down in some little town 175 miles away from home! So...mpg. is not the only factor...what else might you be using up that cost far more than a little extra fuel? Everybodies picture is different; but I can't see turning off for every traffic light helping if you have to buy a new starter too early! By the way... I'll throw in a plug for my former courier veh. '92 Dodge Dakota Sport shortbed w cap.; 2.5 4cyl/5spd.... I usually always got about 7mpg over the OLD mileage sticker estimates... didn't use air except for sliding back window, and side glass kept as high as I could tolerate in humid North Carolina... my best on the job was 37/38mpg during warmer months. I am tall, and the Dakota was just large enough that I was paid a full sized PU rate while getting better mileage than my co-workers in their Nisson compacts. In about 3 1/2 yrs. put 392,000 on it w no repairs more than new shocks, and some tires. I was changing my oil about every two weeks, and I liked to use Slick 50!

Reply  Post New Thread