Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MPG Tire question: lightweight vs LRR

Short text: 235/85R16-Load range E-LRR-43 lbs vs 265/75R16-classified as SL-Not LRR-40 lbs vs 265/75R16-Load Range E-LRR-47 lbs

Long Text:

I have written all misc. info at the bottom of this post so that you may read it only if you wish, the meat of the question I will put at the top.

I am currently deciding between two tire sizes, 265/75R16 and 235/85R16. Each are a ~31.7" tires. My current tires and wheels weigh 80 lbs each and when I make the swap they should be 66 lbs each. There is another dilemma once I choose the tire size about which one to get: LRR vs Lighter weight

Michelin LTX MS/2

235/85R16 option
LRR
Load range: E
Max pressure: 80 PSI
Max load: 3042 lbs
Tire weight: 43 lbs

This load range is way more than I need for just highway and city driving. I am not sure how the load range will affect MPG seeing as it is not a heavy tire. I also like the skinny tire look.

265/75R16 option 1:
LRR
Load range: E
Max Pressure: 80 PSI
Max Load: 3415 lbs
Tire weight: 47 lbs

option 2:
NOT LRR
Load Range SL(Don't think that is correct but you get the idea)
Max pressure: 44 PSI
Max Load: 2601 lbs
Tire weight: 40lbs

My question is whether or not the LRR feature is worth being 3 lbs heavier. I am thinking of leaning towards the lighter tires for better city mileage (The constant stop and go accel kills my MPG) for the sacrifice of LRR.

My other and most preferable option is the 235/85R16. My thinking is that this width reduces drag (splitting hairs though) and it is a nice combination of lightweight and LRR. I am also concerned with which tire will perform better at a higher PSI without killing tread. Every michelin MS/2 has a 70K tread warranty, however. I am also not sure whether or not the high load range will hurt ride too much or MPG.

Thank you for reading and I will be checking this thread regularly!

__________________________________________________ _________
Hello Ecomodder members! I have been lurking for quite some time and have learned a lot and have changed my driving habits, so I already have benefited from this forum. I am usually on TacomaWorld.com forums. I drive a 2007 v6 automatic DCSB. EPA is 18 city 21 HWY, I do mixed and the UltraGauge is currently at 23.8 MPG average (Was 24.5 before all of my weekend city driving )

Anyway, I came here for advice on my tires and if this is the wrong section please redirect me, I looked through the forum lists and this seemed like the best option.

I am about to lift my truck 2-3 inches and am going to go from a 31" tire to a 32" tire, it is time to replace anyway. I currently have 20" rims and am going to get 16" rims.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread