Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MPGuino parts for old subaru

Hi
I have an old 1984 4WD subaru touring wagon with a carbie. I'm thinking of using these parts to try to get an MPGuino going.
I can't post links as this is my first post here
Arduino Uno
Arduino LCD shield with buttons on ebay intm # 351048408130
Fuel flow sensor Ebay Item # 121334843502
Any thoughts or suggestions
Cheers
I'll post the same question in instrumentation cause that maybe the better location for this question!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	15762   Click image for larger version

Name:	sku121897-2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	15763  

Last edited by OldSubi; 09-07-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It won't work on a carburetted car. The MPGuino needs a Vehicle Speed Signal input, which many carburetted cars do not have, and it needs a fuel injection pulse signal. No carburetted cars have that.

You'd probably be better using a vacuum gauge. If you really need some MPG reading, and don't need it to be very accurate, you can add some sensors to your car (a manifold vacuum sensor, for one, and an RPM sensor on a drive axle or some such, and possibly more) and estimate the fuel consumption from that. But it will be a fairly imprecise estimate...

-soD
Old 09-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah Thanks for that this Dave
Maybe you didn't have time to look at the photos but the red thing is a fuel flow sensor that puts out a pulse every 0.47 milli Litre
and lots of guys are using hall effect sensors for speed sensing
The main aim of the question was about using standard Arduino Uno and a parallel LCD with 6 buttons and maybe someone has used this flow sensor?
When I've been searching and reading I found lots of info about pre made kits and just thought someone might be able to point me in the direction of using normal arduino and this LCD...just a thought.
I'll post some links to photos of the instrument cluster with the "Trip computer" that is so inaccurate I don't use it.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh! I missed the flow sensor. I had been discussing FE calculation on various types of car with an electronics hacker friend of mine, and I guess I got pulled into that in my head.

With a flow meter like that on your fuel line, you might be able to work something out. If your car has a fuel delivery system with a return, you will need two of those sensors--the pump will keep pushing fuel at all times, and anything not needed by the engine gets dumped back into the tank. So you work on the difference between the accumulation of "ticks" from the two meters.

Your fuel flow signal will be the amount of fuel going into the float bowls of the carburettor, which is not necessarily the same as what is going into the engine. Though it should be a reasonable approximation, if a bit laggy.

With a speed readout from some kind of sensor on a brake rotor, or on a CV joint, you'll be able to get a distance reading, and be able to calculate MPG (or l/km) from that. Should even be a fairly simple calculation, which is nice.

You can obviously use an Arduino and the LCD with buttons to do this. Wiring it and programming it would be a little more tricky, but I bet you could get at least pretty close with what is used in the MPGuino.

Cool, I think it will work! But I don't know exactly how...

-soD
Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the reply S' O' Dave

I think I've decided on the parts. I would love to go the retro LEDs but
The usual 1602 lcd AU $4.24
UNO 328P\ AU $6.89
Fuel flow sensor in the pic' above US $19.79
Hall Effect sensors 5 for :AU $1.55

and when I looked through the code for t vago Master EcoModder
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-26469.html
I saw the option of using an analogue in with 5 resistors so I will use the switches for my silly old car Trip display
The two line LCD should fit in the same place as the old display

Cheers

Reply  Post New Thread