Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdorion1 View Post
Well I know there is a difference in cars after 1996 because they have an OBD-II port. Its my understanding the emissions test is all electronic? Maybe thats a misunderstanding, but in my mind a muffler wouldn't reduce any pollution anyways (other than noise) so I don't see how they could fail me just for that. Maybe my mechanic gave me a break, or maybe yours was trying to rip you off by charging you to fix the hole. Maybe someone else has a better idea of how this works than me.
Cars made before the OBD port became common were required to have the dynamometer test. That involved driving it on a treadmill-like emissions test machine at the equivalent of highway speed and inserting a sniffer probe in the tailpipe. (The guy was just being picayune about the tailpipe, but they can do that.) The emissions test for later model vehicles that have OBD is still enforced. But they scrapped the dyno test; and I was very happy to hear that because it was becoming increasingly more difficult to find an inspection station that had a dyno machine that was functional.

Quote:
If I'm gonna try to do the repair myself how do I attach the pipe to the triangular shaped hole on the catalytic converter? Or does it have to be a pipe made for this specific car? I guess thats kind of an off topic question for this site, but since you've been through this I might as well ask.
Yes, when you go to the auto parts store they will know what parts you will need based upon your model of the car. The triangular ended pipe is a flange mount - if a kit is required they can supply it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
Get us some photos, suggestions are better when what's needed can be seen.

I had rivets in mind to avoid welding (I don't own a welder, never welded either).
Silicone or other adhesives came to mind too, but they might not be temperature proof (as it's got to last, duct tape just won't do for this).
You've never done this before, have you.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Nope. I figured welding was the best fix to it - probably the only fix. I was mostly interested to see how bad it was.