EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   multi throttle body geo 1.0 liter (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/multi-throttle-body-geo-1-0-liter-16305.html)

watercat 03-02-2011 05:48 PM

multi throttle body geo 1.0 liter

So I need a few more hp.

When I hook up to a towing load of say another geo metro I can barley pull it. Not up really steep hills at all. Stop with the dumb ass dont tow with your geo.
I have installed the 4 cyl fly wheel on the 3 cyl and bumped the compression up. I dont really want to do a 4 cyl conversion and or a turbo. So I was thinking of a weber 32/36 or just adding one or two more throttle bodies to a custom intake and tie the linkage together. Use the sensors on just one TBI. Probbaly a balance tube (vacuum) of some type to help the MAP out if its a issue.

I'm wondering if there will be a issue of the ecm trigger for the injector failing from driving the one or two extra injectors. I read some where that some one used a external injector trigger on hondas to trigger different injectors in one of the engine swaps but cant find the artical now.

I know a carb would be easy but injection would look cool and probably be more effiecent? Plus it would be cheaper to go with tbi's for me.

Any ideas? I need to get the flanges cut for the carb or TBI's and the manifold to base gasket asap so I can get towing again.

I buy sell geo's on the side and its nice to be able to get the good gasmileage going to pick them up and hauling them back but I have gotten in situations with steep hills latley.

Plus I am building a geo metro into a small rv trailer to tow camping kinda like a tear drop but a whole GEO metro and it tows like a 5 wheel. Got the idea watching this you tube video. I'm not planning on going far just staying in north america mostly unless I can make it all float.

Also I was thinking of taking a TBI off a bigger engine like 4.3 chevy or v-8 chevy and adapting that?

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...per+trailer%21

Sularus 03-02-2011 06:52 PM

I know some guys on 240sx and some other cars used GSXR 750 throttle bodies. It was an individual throttle body set up. You could possibly look for a bike with a 1000cc motor that utilized individual carbs. Pretty quick and easy, the toughest part would be tuning the carbs for use on a car instead of a high revving bike. Good luck and keep us posted on what you come up with.

watercat 03-02-2011 07:13 PM

It surley looks like a drunk fest with two geos drafting that close. The throttle bodys are different in they dont have injectors in them. Bike carbs or weber all the same its about cfm's. But the trigger for ecm is what i worry about failing. be nice to have 3 super beffy TBIs snorting and ready to tear up a 350 z on the free way.

fjasper 03-02-2011 07:15 PM

Just find one at the junkyard with the towing package, and get parts off it.

Going up hill, it's pretty much just mass, gravity and power. Lower mass would help. Less gravity, but that might make it hard to breathe. More power means more air and fuel in the right ratio. Might be able to reduce driveline losses a little bit, but I don't think there's much low-hanging fruit on the Metro, driveline-wise.

Have you thought about putting another engine in the back of the car? http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/02/car-lust--twin.html

Or maybe from our very own MetroMPG: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ailer-201.html

Normally aspirated engines can usually be modified to make more power, but it can get expensive, what with porting/polishing, exhaust, modified intakes, etc. I put a Weber on my wife's 1.5 liter Tercel, and that seemed like just barely enough engine for the carb. If you're looking at motorcycle carbs, match the horsepower, not the displacement, and it should work reasonably well. (For instance: a 650cc motorcycle engine making 65 hp at 8,000 rpm needs about the same airflow as a 1000cc car engine making 65 hp at 5,000 rpm.)

Nitrous could work, maybe, as long as you don't need the extra power for an extended period of time (and have a ready supply of spare engines for when you blow this one up).

As far as hitching a trailer to the roof of your car, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be a disaster. But I'm known to lack imagination.

EdKiefer 03-02-2011 07:45 PM

From your description you really don't want to raise HP as much as raise torque as your trying to pull something .
What rpm range are you in most of time doing this .

Multiple throttles/carbs while will help top end HP will lower low end torque most times .
What you want is intake with long runners and not to wide ports but if you car is carbed you limited to what you can do .
Unless your willing to up rpm to gain power (like change gearing) there not much you can do to increase torque at same rpm, other than FI or bigger displacement .

Sularus 03-02-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjasper (Post 223223)
If you're looking at motorcycle carbs, match the horsepower, not the displacement, and it should work reasonably well. (For instance: a 650cc motorcycle engine making 65 hp at 8,000 rpm needs about the same airflow as a 1000cc car engine making 65 hp at 5,000 rpm.)

You don't match on horsepower, it wouldn't necessarily be off of displacement either, but displacement would be a better mode. It is off of cfm airflow. You may be right in a 650cc motor at 8,000 rpm may flow the same as a 1000cc motor at 5,000 rpm. That is how you match it, cfm. Not off of horsepower. Horsepower is a contigent upon many things, not just the throttlebodies.

J

watercat 03-02-2011 08:00 PM

So i'm looking at some differnt goe heads i have here and some carbs. i know there is more power to be had in a carb. how much i'm not sure but I'm not after much and i'm not even looking to go faster just drag it up to speed a bit faster. I think i can snake in some TBI's to fit the engine compartment and look fairly clean. Obviosly i'll have to have cam ground but thats cheap and fast. I just feel like if i just had a smidge more power i woudl be okay but i dont know how much a smidge is? Since i have never worked with a engine with such a small TBI it looks to me that this motor is screaming to breath? I know on the VW i have built in the past when i went to dual 40 mm webers the cars got better mileage cruising. not sure why but never saw adown side to that upgrade. was kinda thinking of that here on the geo giivng every cylinder its own carb or tbi.

the roof connection in the video looked a bit insane to me so i am installing a center post from floor to roof and then the ball is inatlled in it. lets the sheet metal become part of the over all strenght.

Now i just need to figure out the disc brake conversion from a swift

Sularus 03-02-2011 08:41 PM

This sounds like a interesting project watercat. I look forward to future updates. You can look at Mikuni too. They do motorcycle carbs mainly, but I am sure you can find and application or an older application you can source cheaply to work with your needs.

http://www.mikuni.com/index.html

J

mwebb 03-03-2011 01:51 AM

this will NOT improve anything and ...

stop this
it is not going to provide the results you seek no matter how you twist it

you can not make a 44 magnum from a 22 long rifle

using the funds you would have frit-turd away on your non functional abortion ...

buy an old truck / suv / large American rear wheel drive car to use as your tow beast and drive your geo the rest of the time

it will be cheaper and better and you will have a happier life .

thank me

Quote:

Originally Posted by watercat (Post 223222)
It surley looks like a drunk fest with two geos drafting that close. The throttle bodys are different in they dont have injectors in them. Bike carbs or weber all the same its about cfm's. But the trigger for ecm is what i worry about failing. be nice to have 3 super beffy TBIs snorting and ready to tear up a 350 z on the free way.

Odin 03-03-2011 02:14 AM

ITB's off a 1000cc or up motorcycle might help along with a little porting
ditch the computer and go carbed!