Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
CIVIC streamlining

Here are some images of my '84 CRX project.I've made it to the 'center' configuration so far.With the kit,she can do in the 60-mpg range.From top speed testing at Bonneville and coastdown testing at the Chrysler Proving Grounds she's estimated at Cd 0.235. From Bonneville testing,almost all the benefit was from the boat tail.
If I 'complete' the project she should be in the mid-to-low teens.

If you'll mimic basjoos AeroCivic you'll be at Cd 0.17.No thinking necessary.It's technology,not theory! Mike's done all the head work for you.

j12piprius (04-19-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
modifications to front

Aerohead, that is EXACTLY what I'd like to do to the front. Did you have to remove and replace the original bumper?

A how to and/or materials list would be much appreciated, if possible.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
how and

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Aerohead, that is EXACTLY what I'd like to do to the front. Did you have to remove and replace the original bumper?

A how to and/or materials list would be much appreciated, if possible.
I left the car intact,and simply created a mockup of the mods out of cardboard and regular masking tape,after triple waxing the attachment areas with Meguire's 100% carnauba car wax.
Then I did wet layups of fiberglass cloth and polyester resin right over the mockups,both from The Home Depot paint department.
After 3-layers of cloth/resin and a good cure I pried the parts off the car and tossed them into a stock tank from a local farm supply house (sometimes you see these at tire stores where they immerse leaky tires to locate leaks) to 'dissolve' the cardboard,leaving only the shell.
Some Bondo body filler and sanding (again from Home Depot) later,I used spray primer and top coats from AutoZone/O'Reileys,plus some 3M colored tape to simulate the HONDA trim.
An air compressor is handy for operating pneumatic air files and rotary sanders.An electric random-orbital sander and sanding blocks help dial in the final shape.A good respirator is a must for both dust and VOCs coming off the paints.Eye protection (I also hook a cheap HOOVER vacuum cleaner to my random-orbital to keep dust down).
An air blower,then Detroit tack rags are good for final cleaning before primer and top coats.Use all the ventilation you can get.
I just drilled into the car for attachment using trim screws from an auto paint supply house.I used riv-nuts in existing holes when I could,for belly pan especially.
And a trailer light kit for the boat tail.It slips on and off like a glove also.
Rocker panel extensions were fabbed up at a local sheetmetal company.
The elliptical wing is 4-pcs of baseboard trim joined together back-to-back and glassed over.
Plexiglass for the fenestrations.(Lexan would be way better)
That's all I can think of right now.
It's easier to do than talk about.You can't hurt anything and the learning curve is fast.
Cd (11-26-2014), j12piprius (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
bumper cover

Wow, Aerohead, thanks much for those details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It's easier to do than talk about.You can't hurt anything and the learning curve is fast.
I thought since there's a bumper cover, there's a bumper underneath, but just watched a video of a bumper cover removal, and there's no bumper under it! The bumper cover is the bumper!

My first task will be to remove the cover and see what things look like underneath.

Last edited by j12piprius; 04-19-2014 at 07:16 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, air dam, boat tail, civic