Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Long Ranger - '01 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

EcoSI - '08 Honda Civic SI
90 day: 28.83 mpg (US)
Some updated photos

Grille block and fog light hole covers were remade using plastic container lids and painted black. Caulked the edges with with black silicone and screwed in the corners of the grille block. Looks much better than before and i just need to smooth it out and paint the rest of the valance to match.

New side skirts were made using some 1x2 boards, cut to fit, and lawn edging attached with a staple gun. Attached using existing bolt holes and christmas tree fasteners. Currently have it running from inside in the front tire to outside of the back tire, but might make it straight if it would work better that way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathan01xl For This Useful Post:
ChopStix (05-08-2016), gone7 (08-14-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Averaged 44 mpg on my commute today to and from work, had two real short errand trips during the day for work (which i get paid $0.55 a mile for) and my daily average was right around 42 mpg. Did a lot of P&G, much more than usual and it really paid off. There was a very strong headwind and i was able to maintain my mpg easily over 40 and average speed at 55mph by pulsing to 65 and slowing to 45 into the wind, slinkying behind a semi.
I think my efficiency increase is do in part to an improvement in driving technique and undoubtedly the side skirts and ethanol free gas are making an impact as well. If it hadn't been for climbing the hill of death to get to my house my average on my commute home would have been almost 47 mpg!!
The Following User Says Thank You to nathan01xl For This Useful Post:
gone7 (08-14-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
radioranger

you might want to put the redline shockproof lightweiht oil in the dif, around 30 wt and very good for durability
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
you might want to put the redline shockproof lightweiht oil in the dif, around 30 wt and very good for durability
maybe next time... just changed it
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
I heard rumors that the 98+ bumper mounts can be "modified" (read bent) to fit the 97 and earlier Rangers. Don't know if that's true or not. I am planning on dropping the front with springs (I don't trust the cut coils) and an axle flip in the rear. Just trying to find the time between work and home remodeling. Too many projects so little time.

My aero cap is still unfinished as of yet. The wife said I had to finish the bathroom remodel before I get any of MY projects finished. You know what they say....If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy. LoL
Didn't realize you have a 97, you will have a hard time aligning your front end with just drop springs. you would be best off to go with some lowering i-beams. 'dream beams' are good for about 3" up front and a flip kit is good for 4" in the rear. it will sit nice and level and should ride alright with new bumpstops and drop shocks.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
It's just my old work truck. I know new beams would be the ideal but I figure if I get it aligned first then do the drop with just the springs it shouldn't be that far off. But hey what do I really know. I just know that I need to get it lower down and out of the wind more than it already is. I am also thinking of getting another front valence, inverting it, and attaching it to the factory one using the mounting holes. This, I think would give me somewhat of an air dam up front and I think I can re-attach the other factory "air dam" piece to the inverted valence also. It's all just in my head for now. The dang pick-n-pull is 60 miles from home.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Red Egg - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

Dodge SRT-4 - '04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 2.4L Turbo
90 day: 26.24 mpg (US)
I am not that familiar with the newest of four cylinders but if that truck does not have an electric fan I suggest driving the 60 miles to the junkyard in getting one immediately as a Ford guy I've always been a fan of the taurss 3.8 fan which is also on the Mustang. I used to have a 3.0 v6 Ranger the difference adding electric fan to free up a little bit of power was noticeable. Free power does not mean you need to use it. Also means you can avoid a downshift here and there it works for mileage and output
Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Danger red ranger - '03 Ford Ranger Xl
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)
Nathan01xl I have a 03 ranger as well and have noticed with better driving habits my mileage is greatly improved. Coming home from work the past week I have been averaging 47+mpg. I don't have any aero mods. All I've done is pumped my tires to 45psi. Although my terrain my be a lot different than yours. It's definately fun when you start trying to beat your records. I'd like to tlk to you sometime about how you made your fog light and lower grille covers. Keep up the good work
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
I am not that familiar with the newest of four cylinders but if that truck does not have an electric fan I suggest driving the 60 miles to the junkyard in getting one immediately as a Ford guy I've always been a fan of the taurss 3.8 fan which is also on the Mustang. I used to have a 3.0 v6 Ranger the difference adding electric fan to free up a little bit of power was noticeable. Free power does not mean you need to use it. Also means you can avoid a downshift here and there it works for mileage and output
electric fan conversion is on the to-do list. just havent had the time to go get one and put it in.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncmodder47 View Post
Nathan01xl I have a 03 ranger as well and have noticed with better driving habits my mileage is greatly improved. Coming home from work the past week I have been averaging 47+mpg. I don't have any aero mods. All I've done is pumped my tires to 45psi. Although my terrain my be a lot different than yours. It's definately fun when you start trying to beat your records. I'd like to tlk to you sometime about how you made your fog light and lower grille covers. Keep up the good work
my lower grille block and fog light covers were originally just duct tape, then i made cardboard templates, and finally made them out of the plastic lids to some old tubs. I attached the large lower grille block with 5 screws and used adhesive caulking around the edges. i didnt use any screws on the fog light covers, just the adhesive caulking to secure them. painted them all black with krylon fusion

Reply  Post New Thread