EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   My hairbrained hybrid hidea! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-hairbrained-hybrid-hidea-4420.html)

SVOboy 08-07-2008 11:55 PM

My hairbrained hybrid hidea!

Here's the HHH:

So, I've got two spots open on the crank pulley from not having a/c or power steering. I thought: why not toss a small motor on that could add a few watts to assist the engine? I could get some extra batteries and charge MIMA-like with a button that I flip on during engine braking or what have you (or plug in at home).

Tell me why this is a stupid idea, and I'll forget about it, :)

Vince-HX 08-08-2008 01:04 AM

:thumbup:

I vote fifth wheel though, seems like it would be a little more useful.

SVOboy 08-08-2008 01:07 AM

But then rolling resistance and hitting crap in the road and all that come into play, eh?

Frank Lee 08-08-2008 01:13 AM

I've seen such a device mentioned before... was it autoblogreen?

Red 08-08-2008 01:14 AM

Worth a shot

Vince-HX 08-08-2008 01:16 AM

There was one that I saw that was lowered via air cylinder and the tire was a scooter tire so I don't think its a huge RR disadvantage.

A fifth wheel could really help by letting you go EV only and would be great in stop and go traffic and prolonging glides.

A engine mounted motor could help to extend highway leanburn capabilities since it could take some load off the engine. It would also help get to cruising speed a little quicker I guess.

From what Ive seen a nicely sized etek motor with regen kit will cost about $1000. I want to use that setup on my (still on paper) three wheeler.

I think it would work but it seems like quite a bit of time and money.

SVOboy 08-08-2008 01:19 AM

Vince, you kinda hit on what I was thinking: staying in lean burn on the highway, up hills that might otherwise be to big, or what have you. I'm not really looking to spend much money, kinda hoping this is something I can hack together, :)

KJSatz 08-08-2008 01:32 AM

Does anyone have a photo of a fifth-wheel hybrid setup? I just googled for it and found a modded insight: Is it too late? - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist Tour De Sol

The idea the OP proposed interests me personally more than the fifth wheel gag, but I honestly have no clue which would give more MPG. Would the electric motor use exclusively its own plug-in batteries or would it be connected to the "real" battery also?

roflwaffle 08-08-2008 04:02 AM

Not a bad idea. Lossy compared to the 5th-wheel setup, but compared to low load operation it's a win-win. IIRC, I think I fiddle around w/ the numbers and figured that w/ lead acid batteries it would be worthwhile w/ gas at $3/gallon even if it only went up to ~10-15mph, just because BSFC at those speeds is crazy high. GM's BAS supposedly increases the efficiency of the Vue by ~20%. If you could fit one, a modded ~3-4hp 36V golf cart motor would be great. You could toss in a ~$600 LiFePO4 pack if everything works out and have something that'd be a half to a quarter of the cost of gasoline to run at low load.

Frank Lee 08-08-2008 05:52 AM

Here we go:

Electrocharger / Retrofit Hybrid :: Sigma Automotive